Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computor failure!

Computor failure!

Well, my "old faithfull" died on me!

I've had it for a number of years now, probably the longest serving computer I've had (main computor that is). It seems the mother board is the probable cause. While I wait for my new one, my contact will be through my old computor that I moved to my shop.

I just checked on the delivery of my new computor from tigerdirect.com
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Sku=S445-M5100
    and found that it was still sitting there waiting for me to call to before the order would be processed! I had hoped to have it by the weekend, not likely! I guess this is something they do with the first purchase using paypal (because I am not a new customer). I think that is nuts being as paypal is almost certainly the most secure payment possible on the net.

I am hopeing that I can take the hard drive out of my old computer and fire up my shop computer to move everything over to it. I have everything backed up, but I think the windows transfere keeps all my licenses when it transferes.

The new computer comes with Windows Vista, so I guess I will find out what that is like.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

vista is nice, its kinda odd the first few weeks, but bob, you should have asked i build comps! i could have saved you some coin!

-jeff-
    68 Skylark 455
    70 Volkwagen Bus Type II
    88 Riviera
    06 Mustang V6
    06 Dodge Charger R/T
    07 Yamaha Vstar Custom

Figures......

You just never know who's around!

I am not a computer guy, believe it or not. Am I on the right track for moving my info over to my new computer? I am planning on stuffing the hard drive into my old shop computer as a primary drive and firing it up. I will then click my way through whatever it throws at me until it is running and then use the windows "new computer transfere"??? feature to move my info to my new computer? I hope?

Bob

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

you can do that, you can transfer it to an external hard drive, you can burn it all to CDs, or if you wanna spend a few bucks take it to a CompUSA or CDW and have them do a hard drive transfer to one of those medians

-jeff-
    68 Skylark 455
    70 Volkwagen Bus Type II
    88 Riviera
    06 Mustang V6
    06 Dodge Charger R/T
    07 Yamaha Vstar Custom

What I am wanting to preserve is the registrations. The old computer was running window xp. The new one is vista. So I don't want a direct file transfere. I do have a back up on an external hard drive, but I am not comfortable just plugging it in and clicking restore. I am concerned that I will either get a complete hard drive transfere and will go back from vista to xp, or will not get the registrations for the installed programs.

thanks for the help!

Vista is the devil.
    Linux

i said the same thing till i was forced to use it, now, its just like moving from 98...to XP...
    68 Skylark 455
    70 Volkwagen Bus Type II
    88 Riviera
    06 Mustang V6
    06 Dodge Charger R/T
    07 Yamaha Vstar Custom

yeah it can be that big of a change.
    I build linux servers for a living. so when i got my last dell, it came with vista. thought id try it out before i put linux on it.
    It is so bloated and slow. 800 threads on startup. 4GBs of RAM but only read 3. with dual proc. and 4GB it shouldnt take 5min for a startup.

With that being said. do an msconfig and take everything off the startup.
    Acer throws alot of extra unneeded stuff the startup too. just take those right out, and you should have a good system. just get friendly with the "run as xp" right click tool. make sure to have all updates. but, if you get fed up. lots of PC companies (even acer) will send you an XP disk if you decline and surrender your Vista Product key. or they will refund you something around $90 to get XP. New acer desktops only come with XP as i know, they got rid of vista completely, but not on laptops. i just took vista off a new acer aspire 6920 laptop. ubuntu linux/XP dual boot system. sweet.

one. acer? ew. haha

two, yeah vista takes forever and a month to load up...but i just leave my comps on. hell one of my desk tops i ran for 3 years only turned off twice when the power went out

-jeff-
    68 Skylark 455
    70 Volkwagen Bus Type II
    88 Riviera
    06 Mustang V6
    06 Dodge Charger R/T
    07 Yamaha Vstar Custom

Yeah, the acer laptop was for my CTO. dont know why they dig acers so much. but the laptop is their new model and had some cool addons.
    Yeah, i think my machines never turn off. sleep button.
    XP is a workhorse. vista is visual nice and smooth.
    Also get rid of when it always asks "are you sure you want to do this?" and all that hoohaw.