Thread: 98 Park Ave 3.8 P1020 code

98 Park Ave 3.8 P1020 code

I have a P1020 code which should be the MAF sensor. I have cleaned and replaced the MAF. The problem is intermittant so it is ahrd to isolate. The "Traction Off" light comes on which should not be related to the MAF.
    I have gone over the vacuum lines and repaired a couple bad ends.

Is it P0102?
    Did you actually buy a new or refurbished sensor? You can expect your problem to be either the sensor, clogged air filter or the wires/connector, and that’s about it. The MAF sensor uses a wind resistor to indicate the amount of Air Flow into the intake or SC. The wind resistor, like every resistor, brakes down over time and their resistance properties changes, thus the voltage back to the cpu is no longer within its expected operating rage. Cleaning the resistor won’t do any good, it must be replaced. And be prepared, they can cost over 100 plus a core charge for your old one.

It is the P0102, I put in a supposed refurbished sensor. I seen the price on a new the best quote i received was $91.98 with a $20.00 core charge. I will have to go for the new one and go from there.
    Would that sensor turn off the traction control??
    R. Jewell

A “supposed” refurbished sensor is replaced with a new resistor and tested so it should be as good as a new one.

I’ve never looked into how the traction button works with the Powertrain. I couldn’t imagine why they would link the MAF and “Traction Off” light together.
    I believe the “Low Traction” light is used to indicate problems so I would guess the “Traction Off” light might be caused by a faulty switch or connection.

I have purchased a new MAF and installed it at the parts store. They were willing to back the refurbished part. The new MAF made the engine purr again. Thanks for all the help. I still do not know how the Traction and MAF effect each other but I guess they do.
    Now a new (not refurbished) starter.
    R. Jewell