- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: front oil pump questions?

front oil pump questions?

I have a 53 buick and the dynaflow has been acting up it would drive fine for a while then it would act up and wouldnt go anywhere in any gear and then after a while it might decide to drive but then it would slip serverly. I was thinking it was the front pump losing pressure. Anyways I ended up pulling the engine and tranny to do sum other things and i decided to take the tranny apart and i found alot of small metal flakes in the fluid. I got it apart and found the front oil pump gear with some pitting on the side that faces the pump plate and its got a nice little gash in it to. I was wondering if anybody new where I could get a new gear and pump plate. OR am I SOL? Does anybody know why this would have happened? I had the engine rebuilt a while back and put everything back together. Maybe it was something I did wrong IDK but any help would be great.

Dynaflow parts

http://www.fatsco.com/products.htm

Hi, the only place I know of and there may be others, is fatsco.com in North Jersey, They specialize in antique trans parts. I included a link for you.

Good Luck

Jack

front pump problems

I too had problems with my front pump. I posted this solution before. My guess is the flywheel (flex plate) is bent. The entire front of this trans is centered on the flex plate. If it wobbles and has run out it will cause the front pump plate to wear out. Also the the front seal will also leak badly.

Some dope who previously had my car installed the motor and did not line up the drain plugs on the torque converter and the flex plate, tightened it and bent it. It leaked and wore out the pump. During a stroke of luck I found a new NOS pump plate on E-Bay. If I found a new one I am sure they are out there. I paid $35.00 for mine.

I would check the run out of your flex plate, I don't remember how much but it has to be almost prefect. You can bring them back into line with a mallet and alot of checking. If you don't have a manual for your trans I would suggest it. Also take the flex plate off and make sure no dirt is under it causing the run out. Uless that flex plate is perfect, you are going to have problems.

just my suggestion

good luck

Joe