Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: idler arm question

idler arm question

I have a shake/shimmy/vibration, not sure what to call it at around 60-65 mph. This is a 65 a-body. This car has been looked at by a good front-end shop, tranny shop, and had the driveshaft rebalanced by the PO. Tires are fine and balanced, rims run true, bearings are good. I took the brake drums off the front last night and brakes are new, drums are new, one had balance weights, the other did not. Shocks look new and don't leak. Tires are 225/50/15. I did notice some play in the idler arm, could this cause a shimmy at 60+?

Any help appreciated as I want to drive this thing and I can't because of the shimmy.

Kurt

Maybe I shouldn't comment, but I would say that my first impressions of what you describe is the problem is probably in the rotating mass. Have you moved your front tires to the back?
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Tires were rebalanced (but didn't needed it according to the tire shop), rotated, checked for runout, and they somehow put 500# of pressure on the tires as they spun them. Tires look brand new and the rims are new also. Shocks look good. If I hadn't had these things done I would guess that the shock were shot and the tires badly out of balance. The shocks look good and they look new. As soon as I have time next week I am going to swap an old set of tires on the the front and go for a ride. Problem is the old tires are really old and I wouldn't trust them very far.

Thanks, Kurt

Check the bearings in the rear end.

Question

Flynbuick,

Do you mean the wheel bearings or the suspension bushings? I'm assuming the wheel bearings.

Kurt

Differential carrier bearings.

idler arm

it could be many things, but if the idler arm has play, i would start there

I have this problem too...

but in my front end in reverse... Started right after tire balance, took it back & made them redo it, no luck... Did you resolve this? If so, what was it???

Try balancing with the older machine that spins the tires on the car. This will also balance the drums. Problem is when it's time for rotation you will have to balance again.

Tom T.

Vibration

This may be out in left field,I would check the flex shield bolts on the converter or crank bolts.