- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: carb rebuild kit for 264

carb rebuild kit for 264

having problems with starting, but if i put a sip if gas in carb, fires right up. makes me think that i need to rebuild it...any thoughts? also trying to figure which hose to cut and reconnect to by pass the heater core?...i also think my mixture is off, does anyone know how many turns, or is it a twist and try sort of thing till it feels right? thanks

suicycle
    55 special

Sound like you do need to rebuild the carb. I would start with turning the mixture screw in then out two turns and start from there .HTH
    John
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

thanks, how intense is it to rebuild? doesnt look to crazy, i can do it my self right.. i mean i never have, but i seems like it is just replacing gaskets, and soaking parts, then reassemble..

egge automotive sells pretty good kits. look for them in the "links" section of this site. There's not too much to it, just follow the instructions. You have to get your feet wet some time

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

thanks man...

I think the best kits are sold by The Carburetor Shop in Eldon, MO. NO UNIVERSAL KITS HERE; each kit is carb number specific. www.thecarburetorshop.com

If the carb runs with gas poured into the line, perhaps you should investigate a clogged filter, a bad fuel pump, or sediment in the tank/lines before rebuilding the carb.

Ed

I rebuilt the carb for my 56 engine and it always likes to have a couple stomps of the pedal before its rich enough to start. I think it is simply the fact that I disabled the choke after I did my 264 conversion (264 had a carter 2BC, I didn't re-run the stove pipe to the carter 4BC). Here's a quickie checklist:

- see if your carb is shooting gas when you engage the accelerator linkage. If not, you've got either a clog or damaged accelerator pump, if it's the plunger this=rebuild kit.

- does the car run all good after it is started and warmed up? Does it ping, overheat or lag on the highway? This may be sediment in the bowls clogging things up, plugged fuel filter (in or out of carb) or weak fuel pump. This can also be improper float height or stinking needle valve.

- check your timing too, for my X1/9, I let a buddy borrow it for a year, came back having a real hard time starting and less power, this was the result of the timing being off. After I fixed that, it starts right away. Someone replaced the timing belt and didn't time it right.

In general, a rebuilt kit will give you a bunch of misc gaskets for sealing the top covers and 2 other things, the needle valve and accelerator pump. If you're getting a good strong spray from the pump, when the accelerator is pushed, the pump should probably be ok. The needle valve is only needed if it is either sticking or leaking, you'll either have gas everywhere or a very lean mixture. Check your float height before blaming the needle valve.

The kits can be found all over the place if you're sure that's the issue, I bought mine from Napa. Adjusting the idle... do as the manual says (I think it was turn all the way in and back off 180deg?) and then slowly rock each one till you get the smoothest idle, works for me. Rebuilding carbs is "easy" but don't skip steps, read the shop manual first.

I'm assuming you have a 54 Buick, which heater core are you bypassing? There's 2 heaters of course, one under the driver seat and one in the firewall, the water runs in series. My advice to you, buy the shop manual if you don't already have one. It'll give you all the info you need and much more.

cheers!
    Chris

54 Buick Special 41D (with a 1956 Century engine)
    64 Fiat 1500 cabriolet
    83 Bertone X1/9
    84 Jag S3 XJ6