- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Open Drive Line

Open Drive Line

Hi all
    I have 59 with a very bad 401. I also have a 72 with a 455. I would like to put the 455 in the 59 and use a open drive line. What third member will inter change with the 59 rear housing to make it an open drive. I heard a 63 third member will inter change.
    When life hands you lemons, ask for salt and Tequila!!
    Lee

do a search, this has been covered many times.

Just got back home. Thanks Carpnta for acknowledging my thread. I had ask this one other time with no reply. I have searched a number of times, but have not found what open 3th member will fit my 59 rear housing. Not how to put in a open drive line. Thank you any how.
    Lee

I had a 57 Special that was sitting on a 72 Chassis. You might want to think about this swap, as it will give you a much better handling Buick with more brakes and steering.
    Joe T
    37Buick coupe /455 powered
    40 Super convert
    72 GS455 convert 13.0/105
    69 Buick Sportwagon
    92 Road,aster wagon
    04 Rendezvous

Thanks Theoldguy that might work for me. I will have to get under them both with a tap and do some checking.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by ToTo Lee View Post
    Just got back home. Thanks Carpnta for acknowledging my thread. I had ask this one other time with no reply. I have searched a number of times, but have not found what open 3th member will fit my 59 rear housing. Not how to put in a open drive line. Thank you any how.

you can use a 61/62 3rd member. ihave one in my 57, just use your 59 axles. i used a trailing arm setup like nascar type bars.

good luck
    bob

Thank you Carpnta. I was close with the 63. So I start looking for a 61 or 62 third member. It will have to wait for a week or two. Heading out in the morning for WY on my bike. Thanks again.
    Lee

TOTO, I also have a 59 that I converted to open drive. I used a 62 lesabre and 4 linked the car. Very easy to do if you have any welding skills. If you want email me at tdprice@charter.net and I'll get you some pictures. I also got some shorter springs from salvage yard and lowered at the same time. Works great. I have a sp 400 tranny in it. I had to modify crossmember and have a driveline built. Erything else is a bolt in. TP

TOTO, if your interested I converted my brake system also. I put a booster on the firewall. Contact me and I'll tell you whats up. again easy to do and works great. TP