Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.

Thread: 89 LeSabre won't start

89 LeSabre won't start

Pulled my car out of the car port to do some work. Tried to move it back the next day and it won't start. Just cranks away, but won't hit. No sign of a problem before this. Called a friend over the next day to look at it and he tried it and it started right up. I thought maybe it was a matter of trash in the bottom of the tank. Changed the fuel filter (only two years old) and drove to the service station to fill it up...won't start again. Had to be towed back. It cranks away, but won't hit, and when you turn off the key it backfires through the breather. I already had a problem with the cam sensor and replaced it a couple of years ago. I thought it was a timing issue until it started that one last time. Now I'm baffled. If it was timing; it just wouldn't start period. Right? I tried spraying strarter fluid in; still won't start. I pulled one side of the fuel rails and found that it is indeed getting gas. I checked all the wiring to see if a field mouse was chewing and didn't find anything. Any ideas? I need a little help here.

sounds like no spark.

have you tried pulling a spark plug wire and holding it near the block to see if it's firing?

those computer controlled cars are susceptible to all kinds of intermittent problems. poor / corroded ground connections. burned fusible links, etc. i don't know what that car has for coil/s....

the computer might have gotten moisture in it and have gone bad. i've got a Mark VII that has the computer in the passenger footwell next to the A-pillar. that's a great placement except that the car drains water down along a body seam directly above the computer. you can guess what happens after 20 years. crap collects in the drainway, holds water on the seam and rusts it through. then the rain water comes in right on top of the computer. not a good combination.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

For your model Buick it sounds like you may need the crankshaft sensor , it is going out ,,if you check for spark at the plugs ( as Bob sugg. ) and you find it's not firing most common is the cranksensor .
    Your computer is inside the car pass. side behind the glove box ( It's not what I would replace at this time )
    the crankshaft sensor is behind the crank pulley . HTH
    John
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.