Thread: 1951 Super 56S sedanet hardtop in garage.

1951 Super 56S sedanet hardtop in garage.

I have an old friend who has a 1951 Super model 56S he calls a sedanet. He is interested in selling the old car and I need to find out a ballpark price for the car. The sheetmetal is very good, the interior is original and in serviceable shape. According to him it's been 2 years since he had it on the road. He has had it since the 1960's and has always had it in his garage. There are boxes of NOS parts to go along with it and a spare power steering unit. It has a dynaflow transmission

I would characterize it as a very nice original unrestored car. He has told me that it was very rare, and I did confirm that there were only 1500 of them made, he says there's only three that he's heard of that's left. It's a hardtop.

I am considering buying it for a preservation project and investment car. I know that it's extremely hard to put values on a car, but if someone could verify that it is a desireable car, and if by chance I could ballpark figure of it's value, I"d be further along my way.

Thanks so much for any help!

Tim McCormack

Tim
    theres some inconsistencies in the info you provided.

The production figues you provided are correct, but if it is a 56s, it CANT be a hardtop, by definition, a sedanet is a SEDAN, that is, it has a door post.
    It could be a 56r, wich would be a Riviera 2dr hardtop, you need to check the cowl tag and confirm the model number.
    Also, according to everything i've seen or read, power steering was first available in 52, as an option on the ROADMASTER only., so if it comes with a power unit, it probably is not compatable with the engine, as the pulleys and brackets were big block specific and wont interchange.
    I hope this info helps, and also, this info is based on MY experience and research, wich of course, is subject toerrors like everything else.
    hope this helps,
    Jon

PS...sounds like an awesome car, should be a great buy.
    nailheads forever

I presume you have looked under the hood. The engine should be a straight eight. There were no Buicks equipped with power steering in 1951.

Some Clarifications.

I just spoke with my friend again about the car. He said that it was a 1951 with a straight 8 and yes, I was mistaken about the power steering. He had acquired the power steering unit from a 1952 and at one point was going to install it, but never did.

I asked him about the model and he said it was indeed a 56-C ... he called it a slantback sedanet. He said that is was pretty uncomfortable for anyone to ride in the rear seat and the trunk was very small, for what that's worth.

I will be getting pictures later this week. My real goal is to pay him a fair price for the car.

any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tim

Pictures of 1951

HI, I finally have pictures of the car and wil post them below. These are about 10 years old, but will show the body style and general condition. If I'm able to buy the car for under 10K am I in the ballpark?

Thanks!

I had a 1950 special sedanet standard shift. It had a split windshield. My buddy had a 1950 super with a one piece windshield, dynaflow, nicer interior. I didnt notice them being uncomfortable in the rear seat. But for accessability, 2 drs were always harder to enter and exit. And yes the trunk wasnt real large but thats what made them look so good, didnt have that big rump. If 1500 is the true production number for that model/year then it is pretty rare. In 1950 the rarest sedanet was the Roadmaster, don,t know if they made any at all in 51?

pretty!

That's a pretty car, would look good in a parade! Maybe even as a movie extra...