From the Reference Section:

Thread: would it be possible

Question would it be possible

to relocate the alternator on the 307 olds engine in my 1984 Le Sabre to the passenger side? it's on the driver's side currently, and it sure makes checking & filling the power steering pump difficult

I know it would involve removing the a/c compressor,and air pump (I plan to remove these when I replace the electronic carb&distributor with pre-computer pieces)
    would I need different alternator brackets,or could the ones I have be reused?

the passenger side head sits further back than the drivers side head so you'll probably need a bracket that's 3/4" or so deeper in order to line the alt up with the crank and water pump pulleys. i don't know if you could shim it or not.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    the passenger side head sits further back than the drivers side head so you'll probably need a bracket that's 3/4" or so deeper in order to line the alt up with the crank and water pump pulleys. i don't know if you could shim it or not.
    I had a thought...maybe I could make a plate to put behind the bracket that would compensate for the passenger side head sitting back further, then that would make the pulley line up. now I have to see if the alt bracket could be turned to face the right