- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: oops i may have messed up timing

oops i may have messed up timing

i,m rookie at this mechanicing.freind helped me with timing chain install, we lined up timing marks on new set, but found top dead center on what i thought was # 1 cyl but was # 2 ,havent tried to crank yet how close is tdc on #1 as opposed to tdc #2,which side should vac adv be located looking from front on left or right ?its a 75 455 with hei .dont remember ,will it crank or do i need to start over before i install all rest of parts such as alt,pwr steer,shroud ,rad so forth.thanks and go fast with class

I doesn't matter how close no.1 is to no.2, you need to fix it before you turn the motor over with the valve train done up. Number one on any engine is always the first cylinder on the crankshaft. Look across the engine and you will see one cylinder head sits forward of the other.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Number one on any engine is always the first cylinder on the crankshaft.

not true. check out the firing order on a Nailhead.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/w...ne_firing.html

i agree though, do NOT fire this engine set up the way it is. do you think it would suck to bend all your valves and never hear your engine run? yeah, i didn't think you'd like that.

all 1970s Buicks have #1 as the forward most piston on the drivers side. the #2 piston is in the opposite bank and is 90* out of phase. there is no way to correct that without starting over.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Bob,

I think you will find that the first cylinder on the crank on the nailhead is on the passenger side, hence, the no.1 is on the passenger side. After number 1, some motors will number 1357 on one side and 2468 on the other while some will number 1234 on one side and 5678 on the other.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

I think you will find that the first cylinder on the crank on the nailhead is on the passenger side, hence, the no.1 is on the passenger side.

huh, Poncho style, eh? i'll have to look for that the next time i see a Nail.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

nail or not?

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    I think you will find that the first cylinder on the crank on the nailhead is on the passenger side, hence, the no.1 is on the passenger side.

huh, Poncho style, eh? i'll have to look for that the next time i see a Nail.
    the only # i can find to id my motor is the one located between # 5 and & 7 th cyl code #AF some # i cant read.crazy thing is the scratch i made before removal on dist is close to the same location as on old timing cover,rotor is pointing to the # 1 cyl plug wire on cap FOR CERTAIN NOW and harmonic balancer is inline to timing marks is this close enough to try? thanks guys

the only # i can find to id my motor is the one located between # 5 and & 7 th cyl code #AF

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...t_engine_63-75

1975 BBB. all 455s from this year have the same code and configuration so we aren't really going to tell you anything you don't already know.

and harmonic balancer is inline to timing marks is this close enough to try?

if you want to be careful, try turning the crank over by hand a couple of times with the plugs out ( doing it with the plugs in is more work ) and see if it turns smoothly and doesn't make any weird noises.
    Vladimir Lenin

team buick rules

thanks to all my responders ! i fired her up this afternoon,spit a little but cranked easier than before .my oil pressure is really good now and holding around 20 lbs @idle,will take to shop tomorrow to set correct timing .i've really missed driving my 70 gs thanks again and "go fast with class"