Thread: 94 Lesabre 16 Pin OBDI

Question 94 Lesabre 16 Pin OBDI

After a lot of messing around and thankfully no $$ out, I have found out I have a 16 Pin OBDII type connector, but the sticker under the hood says OBDI. I have a intermitent check engine soon light and the engine misses when the light comes on. I have checked the obvious stuff like plugs, wires, vac hoses. I tried an OBDII scanner, but it would not "link". I would like to jumper the proper pins in the 16 pin OBD connector to enter diagnostic mode and read the flahes of the Check engine light for codes if I knew which pins and if it will work on this car. I sure don't want to blow the ECM. I sure don't want to buy a $360 scanner for my $2000 car. Anybody got ideas?

do NOT jump pins!!!!!

what you have there is specific to the '94 & '95 model year. it's a hybrid system, with the OBDI connector, but the OBDII system. sometimes referred to as OBD 1.5 you cannot jump any pins together and get the light to flash. this will only cost you money as you will probably blow up your PCM. (not an ECM anymore, it's called a powertrain control module since it controls the electronically shifted transmission as well). the scan tool that i have has an adapter to hook up to this system. you will need this adapter for the scan tool to work! any big auto parts store should have what you need and scan your car for free. (they do around me anyway) once you have the code you can move forward. but you won't get the code with a paper clip on this system! those days are long gone. if you can get me the code i can give you more information...
    '08 Lucerne, '02 Park Avenue, all the old ones are out of the stable...for now.