- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: 55 buick trans/torque tube

55 buick trans/torque tube

Hi i got a 55 buick special that im going to be dropping a 350 trans into but i dont think the torque tube will work so i want to get rid of it. Ive heard that the 3rd member from a 61 or 62 buick lesabre can just bolt right up to my rear end in the 55 and all i have to do is just have a driveshaft made. Does anyone know if there is any truth behind this? thanks

I heard this will only work on 56 and up cars something about the axles on 56 and up are compatiible while the 55's use C clips for retainers. Do a search for member TELRIV, Tom is very knowleable and could put you on the right track. I am just in the process of converting my 56 Special Wagon to a 700R OD Using a Bendtsens Adapter and converting the rearend with a 62 Buick 3rd member. I am also putting 12" Power Discs Brakes on the front. (See attached picture)
    Last edited by nvr2fst; 10-16-2008 at 12:10 PM.

"It's not your Wife, It's not your Life, It's only MONEY"

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2fst View Post
    I heard this will only work on 56 and up cars something about the axles on 56 and up are compatiible while the 55's use C clips for retainers. Do a search for member TELRIV, Tom is very knowleable and could put you on the right track. I am just in the process of converting my 56 Special Wagon to a 700R OD Using a Bendtsens Adapter and converting the rearend with a 62 Buick 3rd member. I am also putting 12" Power Discs Brakes on the front. (See attached picture)
    Sweet.. I like those brakes! I too, am going to keep my 322 nailhead, but convert over to an overdrive transmission and probably do a later model Buick rear or Chevy rear in it. I think I have a driveline that'll work.

Send us updates on how it all goes!

Transmisson, Rearend Conversion Proceeds

Attached are two pictures. The first one shows the 700r4 Trans and Bendtsens adapter installed in my 56 Buick. No clearance problems at all. As can be seen just a simple Transmission mount bracket was all that was needed.
    The second picture is of the Ford rearend that I used, The stock 56 rearend just wouldnt work for me. We used the same rear springs, shocks, brackets and Panhard bar from the 56 housing. Rides and works just like before. I am very happy with the results. The car is now much more driveable with the orverdrive trans and the Disc brake setup vastly improved the stopping power of my Land Yacht.

"It's not your Wife, It's not your Life, It's only MONEY"