-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: 51 buick w/dynaflow

51 buick w/dynaflow

I may have an opportunity to acquire a 51 2 dr. I don't have a lot of info on it now. I do know that it has 47,000 miles on it and have been told it mostly complete although partially disassembled. The engine and dynaflow tranny are still in place. I know it has been sitting at least 15+ years. i was wondering before i try to take on a project like this knowing i will be on a really tight budget how hard it would be to get it running again. I am looking for some advice on if and or how to attempt the first start. chances are I will be getting the car anyway just trying to figure out whether i should attempt to work with the straight 8 or do a 350/350 swap. i am aware of the torque tube/rearend change if i do that. I can say the the body is nearly flawless. minor surface rust and the only body damage is a dented gas door otherwise the car is perfectly straight. the car is sitting in my future father in-laws back yard and maybe a wedding gift.

well, i have a 51 2 door and although mine was running with 90K miles back in 03 when i bought it, i still drive anywhere i want. i kept the motor and updated the trans and rear end.

being that it sat for 15 years you will want to replace the oil, plugs fuel lines have the tank cleaned all the basic stuff. you can pull the valve cover off and have a look at the springs and what knot to make sure they arent rusty or cracked. i guess once youve gone over everything you can give it a shot, you only need air, gas and spark thats what i always remind myself. air is always there unless a valve is stuck closed or the carb is stuck closed so air is easy, fuel too is easy so long as the pump is pumping clean gas to the carb and the carb is in working non-leaking order. last is spark, check the points if the coil wires and plugs are good you should have a running motor.

i have heard of pouring just a bit of oil into the top of the pistons thru the spark plug hole to lubricate the piston walls during the first cranks to make sure you dont have a dry surface. that oil will get burned out real quick and will only dirty the plugs for a while. i would do a few cranks with the coil disconnected to lubricate the internals first. then you could do a compression test to know if the rings are sealing good. i guess at that point i would hook up the coil and hope for the best.

im sure other people are better suited to answer this question but i figured i would chime in with my little knowledge being that its a 51 probably very similar to mine.

yea i have restarted some old engines and was lucky, they ran ok. put some oil in each plug hole, and take off the valve cover, pour oil over the rockers and pour some down each pushrod hole to give plenty of oil to the lifters. ideally it would be good to try and spin the oil pump with a elect. drill and screwdriver,to pump up the system. when cleaning out the oil pan sometimes old oil will clump up. Make sure the pan drains fully with a bent clothes hanger bent into the pan to scrape out stuff. the problem with sitting for a long time is the old oil clogs up stuff in the engine, and when you turn it over [leave out the sparkplugs and turn it with just the starter first] all areas may not get oil. If you see oil ot the rocker arms, and see oil pressure on the gauge, you may be ok.I still would watch the rockers for awhile they clog easy.

back again, if your Buick really has that lo mileage it should be an excellent engine and drive train, just cleaned and oiled up to see if it WILL run is ok as i explained, but I would definetly take off the pan, rocker cover, pushrod cover, and oil pump pickup, and clean them good. you may need some new stuff like water pump, fuel pump, belts and stuff but you will really enjoy your Buick and it will be a good runner with its original straight 8. Thats what seperates them from all the other cars.

Quote Originally Posted by rwmagee90 View Post
    ....or do a 350/350 swap..
    Meh... Shouldn't even be an option.

Go with the straight 8 or put a nailhead or 455 in it. Don't go into the rhelm of SB Chevy like 50,000,000 other people have.

I am planning to build a cruiser out it and was mulling over the ideas in my head right now. i am hoping to get the str8 8 running because of the fact everyone has a 350/350 as has been stated. just evaluating on a cost basis. i can find a running 350/350 donor car for about the same price as maddogs engine kits. i like the nostalgia of the straight 8 but like i stated my budget is going to be pretty tight. Hopefully i will find out whether or it will soon be mine.

Tyler i see your car all over the net. I love it. The lines, everything, looks great.

on more thing any issues with the tranny after sitting so long?
    Last edited by rwmagee90; 03-18-2008 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rwmagee90 View Post
    I am planning to build a cruiser out it and was mulling over the ideas in my head right now. i am hoping to get the str8 8 running because of the fact everyone has a 350/350 as has been stated. just evaluating on a cost basis. i can find a running 350/350 donor car for about the same price as maddogs engine kits. i like the nostalgia of the straight 8 but like i stated my budget is going to be pretty tight. Hopefully i will find out whether or it will soon be mine.
    In my personal opinion, the swap-over to a 350/350 would be just as labor intensive as anything....keep in mind you're swapping and fabbing an F body rear-end in the car to boot.

Consider what I initially did in searching for an entire donor car frame / floor and swapping the buick body onto it. This way, you get all the advantages of modern suspension and everything. Even a car with a longer wheelbase can be hacked down on the backhalf of the frame and shortened. Or, search for a 1971-1976 Riviera as the wheelbase is a perfect match and you get the 455/400 combo, which is tough to beat. Personally, I think a 401/400 is the perfect motor for an old Buick, but damn they're getting tough to find.

Me, I've decided to rebuild the str8, and go rat rod with cheap cheap cheap and make a rolling coffin