- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: 55 264 oil pump

55 264 oil pump

after installing cam lifters rockersin my 55 I am trying to spin up the oil pump. I have pil pan and timing cover on. valley and valve covers are still off. i am using a drill and a flat bit to spin up oil pump. should i be seeing oil flow from the rockers or someware. i dont see oil flow and no pressure on guage. can someone tell me what i am doing wrong.......thanks Bryan .............also i replaced pump gears.

Did you pack the pump gears with Vaseline before you put the cover back on the pump???? If you did not you will have to prime the pump. There are a number of ways you could do this without removing the pan again. Before we go any further. Which way were you turning the pump. Clockwise or counter-clockwise???? It's supposed to go clockwise as per the firing rotation on the cap. If you went the wrong way you forced the oil backwards & just by going the proper way may pick the oil up again. If you did go the correct way then you need to remove the oil filter adapter on the side of the block. Fill the oil hole in the block that feeds the oil filter & while squirting in oil have someone turn the oil pump shaft backwards with the drill. This should suck oil back into the pump. At this point put everything back together again & spin the pump the correct way & oil pressure should build & you will see pressure on the oil pressure gauge in the car. Also, you will hear & feel the difference in the drill as it's now working the oil pump. If after trying this, maybe a couple times, & you don't have pressure you will have to pull the pan again & remove the pump to see what may have been done improperly. Maybe the relief valve got stuck or you forgot to put it back in properly.

Good luck,

Tom T.

i got the oil pump to pump without taking anything apart. i put a piece of ruber tubing over pump shaft and screwdriver to keep it from slipping off. when it finally started to pump the guage went close to 'H'. is that normal for cold oil. ......bryan

Yes it is Bryan.

Tom