Thread: location starter motor

Unhappy location starter motor

Where is it??? I have a 1970 buick wildcat that has decided not to participate in winter driving fun . I have heard that if we give the old girl a bang on her starter motor that it might just tweak her interest.My dilemma is I don't know where her tickle spot is. Again someone said it is on the passenger side but I think I would prefer not to just bang around pell-mell. The engine tries to turn over but grinds something awful so we have stopped trying till we get some answers. I looked for the engine manual but it is packed away and not available.
    HELP PLEEEEEZ

I think you just give it a waaaap with a hammer. You should probably just get a new starter.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Starter problems

The starter is tucked up under the exhaust manifold on the right hand rear passenger side of the engine,
    but I don't think tapping, or friendly persuasion with the 20lb. ball peen will help ?
    This temporary fix is usually used to free up the starter drive, or a stuck solenoid.
    If the starter is turning over, then it is trying to work properly, so no amount of hammering will change or improve your existing condition.
    Sounds like it's time for a rebuild, or a replacement !
    The starter pinion, loose starter bolts, bad bearings, or the ring gear (flywheel) in the car may also be the source of the grinding noise.
    Looks like a little hoist time, and a carefull inspection is in order.
    Last edited by Rivman; 02-13-2008 at 02:27 PM.
    Randy Hunter, ROA 155 - '68 Riviera GS (clone)
    "Wouldn't You Really Rather Own A Riviera ?"

do not whack it with a hammer!!!if you must,GENTLY tap the back of it,but,all that does is temporarally reseat worn brushes.btw,if you hit a modern permanent magnet starter with any force,you just ruined it.if it's turning over,that wont help.sounds like said above,bad drive/loose bolts.btw,i sell the 9lb mini-starters to replace those 25lb boat anchors
    JAMIE MCCLINTON
    STARTER/ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR REBUILDER SINCE 1979
    selling buick mini starters & alternators
    startncharge@rocketmail.com
    65 Special convertible
    69 Special Deluxe
    Lost to garage fire:
    69 cali GS
    72 Suncoupe

Thanx all for your help all. I'm just giving it a few days to warm up outside then I will see whazzup and do what must be done after checking the obvious.
    Again much appreciated B

If it is just grinding, you might also have worn-out teeth on the flywheel.

-Bob C.

starter problems

Sounds like your starter is working, but if you hear grinding noises,that usually means its mechanical. I think its time to take a look at the starter/ flywheel gears, which will be visible when you remove the starter. Take it to a alt./generator shop or a parts house and have it tested. If its your starter thats not so bad, if its your flywheel ring gear, well thats not fun.You,l have to remove the flywheel. Here,s a little info that may help.

http://www.misterfixit.com/starttst.htm