- Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a 1948 Super Eight

Smile Looking to buy a 1948 Super Eight

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking at this era of Buick Super on and off for a couple years. My dad had a 1947 Super Eight that he loved and had to sell when I came along to pay for the expenses of a kid. Now he has had Parkinson disease for 14 years and even though he cannot drive I would like to get one for him to enjoy. Here is the one I am looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=009

What are these worth? How are they to work on? It seems like a nice running car and I would have to buy it sight unseen on ebay. What should I ask the owner? I have worked on cars before. Just finishing up an XJ6 and am decent in my own garage. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fred

That looks like a heck of a good buy! If you were to add up the cost of the improvements that have apparently been made (paint, brakes, etc.) it would come close to equalling the price he's asking. I don't know where you live, but I would ask him if he thinks the car would make the trip to your place; see what he says. I don't know how much you have bought on ebay, but I've bought quite a few parts over the last few years and I've been very pleased with the honestly of the vendors. I also have heard from a few folks who have bought cars on ebay and all of them have felt that they got a good deal. If the car is as advertised, I don't think you're going to find a nicer one for the money. Caveat emptor!! Good luck.

That's a smokin' deal...if I wasn't so deep into my '52 I'd be all over it. If I had the funds I'd buy it on speculation alone. I think it's worth more than he's asking. Actually I'm a little bummed it's so cheap because I have nearly twice that in my '52 Special and I still need paint and a lot of re-chroming yet to go. This car, I predict won't last long someone will jump on it.
    "Try to be the person your dog THINKS you are."

Gold book value for this says its worth $8,200 in good condition.
    nice deal. nice car. id say do it, there is no biting the bullet with that deal.

Looking to buy a 1948 Super Eight

Why has no one bid on it yet?

people always go for the usual chevy, ford, and mercs.
    buicks are awesome cars under the radar that most people looking for old cars dont look at. i got my 49 for $2,500. couldnt be any happier, and no bids were on that. picked it up and drove it almost 400 miles straight.

Howdy Fred,

All I can say is that working on a 48 Buick cannot be NEARLY as much of a pain as working on ANY XJ6! I've replaced or worked on almost all of my XJs' driveline so far and the only thing I have not re-done is the DANA rear end and intake manifold. Though it's working flawlessly now the XJ's far more of a challenge than my 54 Buick has been. At least you won't need to buy a metric tool set!

If I were looking for a car, that one on Ebay sure looks like a nice and easy start for a suitable price. I don't know if I'd drive it a long distance without poking around the driveline a bit first but surely the body and interior look fresh =). Personally though I doubt if I'd just put down a few K's on a car that I can't check out with my own eyes first. I buy and sell a lot on Ebay and get surprised with things I buy sometimes but at most it's a couple hundred, not a few thousand. If you get the car and need a radio, I restore these radios sometimes and sell em on Ebay.

good luck!

Chris

54 Buick Special 41D (soon to have a 1956 Century block)
    64 Fiat 1500 cabriolet
    83 Bertone X1/9
    84 Jag S3 XJ6

So if no one bids do you guys think that I should wait for the auction to end and offer the guy less or just buy it for his asking price? Can I get it for less? Is it fair to try and lower the price further? I found out this car was on ebay a couple weeks ago for a $7500 buy it now price and no one bid on it. I can easily arrange the shipping of the car even though it is 2000 miles from me since I have a friend with a moving truck and trailer coming through there in a couple weeks.

Fred

Crap, it sold. Thanks for all your input guys. Until next time...

Fred

hey chris, how much do you charge to rebuild those radios?
    can ya make it work with my 12 volt system?
    i have 12v to 6v converters. but i dunno, i dont like electrical work.