- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Hooking up a manual transmission

Hooking up a manual transmission

I've got a question about hooking up a manual transmission - this question might be pretty basic, but it's something I need to know. The nailhead I've got is a 264 that when I got it has an automatic transmission flywheel with the starter on the driver's side of the engine. Is it possible to convert this engine to use a manual transmission - use a manual transmission flywheel, bell housing, etc? I guess my basic question is - Is there a fundamental difference between an engine manufactured for use with manual transmission versus automatic transmission?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Todd

Yes, crankshafts are different. This can be gotten around by making a bushing of the proper size for the hole in the rear of the crank & for a pilot bushing. Other than that it's finding the nec. parts to complete the conversion. Flywheels are different between 264 & 322. Bellhousings, although different part numbers can be swapped around.

I am converting my 401 Nailhead to a manual transmission. When you do round up the parts that you need be sure to take accurate measurements to be sure that the crank is drilled deep enough to accecpt the pilot shaft on the transmission without interference.

Hi Todd,

That's similar to the project that I'm doing. I've got a 264 with a SM transmission and am putting in a 322 dynaflow block keeping the SM transmission (till I can get a better one). I've done my homework on this one and I've found that the only difference is the crank shaft. There is a fella on Ebay that I've been chatting with, he has the proper adapter to fit your dyna crank to the SM trans. You'll also probably need the rubber mount too, noone really mentioned that the SM and the dyna may have different mounts, it's on Ebay too.

I just picked up a new "best friend", the 24th Hollander interchange. It agrees with the crank mod but since I have 2 blocks, I'm actually going to do a crank swap (264 SM to 322 dyna), which also fortunately enough, is approved in the 24th Hollander as being a legit swap.
    The only problem in your case is that you'll need to install a BUNCH of new hardware to do the conversion "properly", that is installing all Buick parts.

good luck,
    Chris

54 Buick Special 41D (soon to have a 1956 Century engine)
    64 Fiat 1500 cabriolet
    83 Bertone X1/9
    84 Jag S3 XJ6

I'm just now getting back to this.

Thank you all for all the good information.

Chris: I'd like to talk more about this with you when you get a chance - Please send me your telephone number and I'll give you a call - tstellhorn@esri.com.

Thanks.
    Todd

Unless you go with the stock stuff to do the swap you will find that you will have to go with an open driveline---much more complicated and not for the novice. There are ussually good speed shops that could do the conversion but you will have spend BIG bucks. If you want to do it yourself---take your time, plan well and research. There have been people on this site ( myself ) and others who have done this. Take it in stages---as the saying is---measure twice cut once---because there will be a fair amount of welding involved--pinion angles to be made and plenty of changes to make it all work. Good Luck