-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: does a 1950 buick share the same gearbox as a 1946

does a 1950 buick share the same gearbox as a 1946

Hi Guys. My recently purchased 1950 Buick has a rowdy gearbox, in all gears, but worst in top. If you back off the gas, the noise is gone etc. Now the box leaks oil quite alot at the back, so I'm wondering if my gears are stuffed, or if as a pal of mine has suggested, its just bearings in the box on the "final drive shaft"? I think he called it? Now besides this, A guy I know has a 1946 model gearbox for sale which he assures me is in good condition. Would this fit my 1950? I have been told that they were the same from 1948-1952, so it may not?
    Would love to hear you thoughts/experiences
    Thanks, Scott

'48 to '52 should be the same, but I would at least rebearing before installing.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Depends on how many bolts the top cover has, 5 or 6. The 6 bolt cover is the desirable one, much heavier duty. They would just about be a swap depending on overall length. Then you would just have to play with your linkage to get it to work, it's only slightly different. Sounds to me like the rear output shaft bearing. Small parts kits, gaskets, front & rear bearings are still available to do a complete rebuild to yours.

Hi guys,

I posted a message asking about compatibility of a 48 trans in my 46 recently and had no response so I'll try asking here...

My car is a 46 Super.

I want to retain the original gear ratios.

What years of cars would have had the same ratios ?

Did they change transmission ratios between models or only final drive ratios ?

I see a 5 bolt and 6 bolt top cover is discussed, did both of these have the same gear ratios ?

If your tranny has 5 bolts on the top cover, a 41-53 5 bolt top cover Buick tranny will bolt in. The 6 bolt top cover tranny is heaver duty and about 2.5" longer.

I have a 3 speed from a 1950 Super if you need one. Just send me a e-mail.
    I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
    People Eating Tasty Animals
    There's no nookie like chinookie
    No butts like halibuts
    Fish are not our friends, they're food.
    Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Life is sexually transmitted.

As I remember there are two different and NOT interchangeable transmissions in these years. Super/Special are the same and Roadmaster is different.