- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disc Brake Conversion Customer Testimony & Info

Disc Brake Conversion Customer Testimony & Info

Hi Everyone,

There are a lot of different threads on disc brake conversions and "kits" but I couldn't find any real customer testimonies or hard facts on what parts were used and what modifications had to be done to make them work. I figured if we could put together a "master thread" on this subject it would allow for easier searching and better information flow. I know this may seem redundant to some folks, but I feel that all information and facts posted would be greatly appreciated by many. Brakes are such an important item and I feel that the more info that could be gathered would make our cars safer and therefore more enjoyable to drive.

Information to be shared could include :

1. Year of vehcile.

2. "Kit" or parts used.

3. What, if any, modifications were done to make the brakes work to satisfaction.

4. What master cylinder and/or booster was used.

5. Were stock or dropped spindles used.

6. Parts that were needed but not included with the kit.

With all that said, I do not want this to look like I am demanding certain types of information, I am only trying to think of the items that would be most helpful. If you have other information or opinions, please feel free to share with the rest of us.

Thank you all in advance, for sharing your vast knowledge in an attempt to help others that want to learn.

Regards, Dave

I will start out with the names of two companies that I know of that make conversion kits covering several different year vehicles.

http://www.scarebird.com/

http://www.discbrakemike.com/

Both companies were very nice on the phone and answered most of my questions. However, the points listed below urged me to start this thread and hopefully help others in the process.

Both companies listed above supply the caliper mounting brackets and a list of the other parts to be purchased by the owner at local auto parts stores.

One campany states that the stock master cylinder can be used with their kit but advises the owner to install a different master cylinder for optimum performance. However, the replacement master cylinder origin is not mentioned.

The other company states that the stock master cylinder will not work with their conversion and advises that a complete swinging pedal assembly be installed and relocation of the master cylinder onto the firewall.
    Last edited by nailheadroadster; 01-11-2008 at 09:56 AM.

Great idea. Looking forward to the replies!

Gary
    ------
    1950 Special Model 43 - "Yoda"
    1948 De Soto S11 - "Bobo"

What kinds & years of cars are we talking about??? A generalization can't be made that covers "It All" from 1932-1980. Many different companies, many different opinions, many different outcomes for the same years.
    In other words, we need more info!!!!!! Also with some specifics.

Tom:

How about '50 - '54 Buicks?

Gary
    ------

Well on my '55 special, I used the Scarebird bracket. They supplied me with a list of parts from a 75 Riv. and a 2000 Astro. It all bolted up great. I did however use the remote fill dual master cylinder from Master Power brakes. To install that, I only needed to drill 2 new bolt holes. It came with the prop/residual valve and the nice thing is I only have a small resevoir on the firewall to fill.
    The only physical modification that needed to be made with the scarebird set up, is the castle nut needs to be ground down to accomodate the dust cap.
    They were very helpful on the phone.
    Jason

Weird is relative and my relatives are weird!

Jason, where did you mount the master cylinder? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks!

Gary
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    What kinds & years of cars are we talking about??? A generalization can't be made that covers "It All" from 1932-1980. Many different companies, many different opinions, many different outcomes for the same years.
    In other words, we need more info!!!!!! Also with some specifics.
    Hi Telriv,

I can appreciate your concerns on this matter as I am sure we both would like to benefit from the knowledge on this subject. However, in my initial post I provided sample questions / information points that could be provided by the individuals posting about their experiences. That way, a large amount of folks could benefit from one "master" thread about the subject at hand instead of having to search for a particular year of vehicle throughout the forum. I do understand that there are quite a few years of vehicles to cover but I do not understand why that could not be accomplished here by simply providing the information outlined in the intial post.

Regards, Dave
    Long live the NAILHEAD!!

1955 BUICK SPECIAL - 264, 4 BARREL, DYNAFLOW
    1926 MODEL T ROADSTER - '54, 322 & THREE 97'S

You know how girls are... If they're bein nice to you, they usually have an angle. - Wally Cleaver

Hi Restoroddin,

Thank you for the great information! Would you happen to have the part number of the master cylinder you purchased from Master Power Brakes or a link to the unit on their website? Also, did you install the parts on stock or dropped uprights (spindles)? Please advise.

Regards, Dave
    Long live the NAILHEAD!!

1955 BUICK SPECIAL - 264, 4 BARREL, DYNAFLOW
    1926 MODEL T ROADSTER - '54, 322 & THREE 97'S

You know how girls are... If they're bein nice to you, they usually have an angle. - Wally Cleaver

Dave I sent you this in your PM's but I'm too lazy to re type it so I hope you don't mind I just copied and am pasting it here.

Ordered from MASTER POWER BRAKES: The part number for the MC is MC1004MZ. This is for the MANUAL BRAKES. If you are going POWER then you need a different number.
    The part number for the combo valve I used for MANUAL DISK/DRUM is VL3360K.
    I also used their "Add a line kit" number LN390834

That should be all you need. Email them directly with those numbers, what you are installing it in, and what your brake set up is and they can reconfirm my numbers for you.

I haven't had the buick on the road yet, but hopefully soon. The Scarebird conversion was excellent. The listed parts fit perfectly!

I don't have any pictures yet, as I've only had time to dry fit the MC. The disks I do have on the stock spindles and will try to post a pic ASAP. The one thing about the disk conv. tho is the studs on the disk are 1/2" and the bolts that are on the back wheel are 9/16". I finally found some press in studs that match the front studs, and are long enough. (I changed the rear drums with the front ones from my 54 Roadie donor car. I had to add a 1/4" spacer, but gained I think @1/2" in width)
    I am in the process of cleaning and painting the underside now before I install the MC, Exhaust, and the new brake plumbing. The replacement gas tank looks sweet tho (Mid 80's F-150)
    Last edited by restoroddin; 01-14-2008 at 01:02 PM.
    Jason

Weird is relative and my relatives are weird!