Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starting issue

starting issue

I had an issue starting my '76 Electra yesterday while at a friends house. when I went to start it to head back home, it turned over slowly at first, then it started normally. ( it sat for about 90 minutes.) it also does this on initial start up when cold. ( I take it out once or twice a week, weather permitting ) the "alternator" light does not stay on while it's running. when I got it back home, I shut it off, then started it back up as a test, it started as normal.

the battery is new, was in the car when I got it. the specs on it are: group 75-5N cca @32*= 630. cca @ 0*= 525.( battery terminal connections are clean and tight ) the starter and alternator are original. I'm planning on taking it out again later this week,and have the starting/charging system load tested at auto zone. so, what could it be? battery too small, or could the alternator/starter need rebuilt? (I'd rather rebuild mine,as the quality of rebuilt units nowadays can be iffy)

happy new year everyone!!!!!
    Last edited by 1976 Electra 225; 12-31-2007 at 06:52 AM.

I think if your battery connections are all good, I would look at the starter.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by rcull View Post
    I think if your battery connections are all good, I would look at the starter.

I was kind of leaning towards that too, it's been on the car since new, all the paint has worn off it. I think I may have a spare good one on hand, if I can't find it, I'll pull the one on the car off,and have it looked at.
    thanks!!!!!
    Last edited by 1976 Electra 225; 12-31-2007 at 08:30 AM.

I will be pulling the starter this weekend,after I go for a nice cruise in it. what parts should I plan on buying? brushes, starter drive?
    or, take it off,and clean/inspect it first?

I tried a known good larger amp rating battery, and it made no difference, so, I'm gonna look forward to a starter rebuild job (I'm so glad I bought a shop manual set)

i would replace the starter assy. but if you are going to rebuild you should replace front and rear bushings , bendix , and clutch arm and the solenoid . For the price of a new starter you would be ahead . Just "m2$"
    HTH
    John
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

starting problems

make sure the body to starter connection is good. And on GM starters the solenoid contacts go out with age and use. It sounds like it may be a contact issue whether its in the solenoid , ground/body, or starter internals. sometimes connections get corrosion,dirt, or wear, and the voltage will try to make a circuit and finally makes a connection and full voltage gets thru. electrons are sneaky!

starting problems

Ohh the battery is new, but it was in it when you got it. why did it get replaced? Lotta electrical problems start with some kind of malfunction, so keep the alternator in mind, it all could start with bad/corroded connections and the whole kaboodle goes downhill!

Quote Originally Posted by 39CENT View Post
    Ohh the battery is new, but it was in it when you got it. why did it get replaced? Lotta electrical problems start with some kind of malfunction, so keep the alternator in mind, it all could start with bad/corroded connections and the whole kaboodle goes downhill!
    the battery was replaced, because the one that was originally in it was out of something else,and they needed it back. there were no electrical issues with it. alternator connections were good and clean. battery cable ends were ok.

well, here is the latest update on my starting issue. I removed the starter, and disassembled it. the solenoid was the original, the drive had minor play in it. the brushes showed some minor wear. the armature looked good as well.
    I cleaned up things up,and replaced the worn parts using my newly acquired shop manual as a guide. results are basically the same, turns over slow for the first few revolutions, then spins over as normal. after a few min of sitting after driving, barely turns over.

so, what do I look at now? I re assembled things correctly, all connections were cleaned. could the alternator not be charging correctly, despite the alt light not coming on? battery is good.

any thoughts or ideas????

*edit.... if my 63 amp alternator needs repair, I do have a reman 55 amp off of a v6 car I scrapped. would it temporarily work in place of the 63 amp ?
    Last edited by 1976 Electra 225; 01-07-2008 at 06:48 PM.

Wink

did you notice any scrape marks on the pole shoes or armature indicating worn bushings? they expand with heat which could be causing the slow initial & hot problems.also,have you checked the timing?
    JAMIE MCCLINTON
    STARTER/ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR REBUILDER SINCE 1979
    selling buick mini starters & alternators
    startncharge@rocketmail.com
    65 Special convertible
    69 Special Deluxe
    Lost to garage fire:
    69 cali GS
    72 Suncoupe