Thread: Torn between 2 Buicks

Torn between 2 Buicks

I bought back my old 67 GS numbers matching 400-4 speed car. I also bought a 67 Skylark off the original owner out of California. I was going to use the Skylark to clone my GS as the body is very bad. The only problem is a friend of mine told me it would almost be a shame to bone out the Skylark. I think I agree. This little Skylark has 118000 miles on it but it looks like nobody has ever sat in the back seat of it. It runs and drives like the day it was new. Everything on it works. It has tilt wheel, factory air, speed minder even the Ca. smog pump is still there and working. The vinyl top split but the car would also need painted. There is zero rust on the car as it came from Ca. I am torn because the Skylark is so nice of a car to dismantle. I dont know what it would be worth if I just painted it and put on the fender skirts and sold it. Maybe that would give me enought to restore all the floors and panels on my GS. I also have a 66 convertible that I can use the box frame out of. Other than the frame it is also pretty bad. Buick only made 2080 4 speed Gs's in 67 and as I said I have a engine,trans,body tag numbers matching car. I just had the 400 completely professionally overhauled. I'm sure someday I would sell the GS but plan on driving it for a few years. I know it would be be more valuable as a numbers matching car but how much more valuable? Any thoughts or similar circumstances with you guys? Thanks for any input.

Dave

It's going to be hard to bone out what is a perfectly good car, but that also means you have found a very good donor car. Is the GS restoration going to be better using the body off the skylark, or with a bunch of patch panels? They take a lot of time to do a nice job, and if the car is too rough, even with time may not be a real good job (If the frame needs replacing just how repairable is the body?).
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Torn between two Buicks

Thanks for your input . The Skylark is an amazing find as far as a donor. I could look for a long time and not find another car like it. The GS would need all floor, trunk, inner fenders, quarters, door skins, trunk lid and the list goes on. I believe you are right, the question is how much better would the end product be if it were not made up of all patch panels. It's now obvious to me that the Skylark would best fit the purpose of bringing back to life the GS. It's sad that someone would allow such a rare car to just sit in the barn and rot.

Thanks again,
    Dave