Thread: 89 park ave ignition problems

Question 89 park ave ignition problems

I just bought a 89 Park Ave. it runs fine, but when I mash the pedal from a stop, it stumbles... and once it even backfired and died. Slower acceleration is fine, only WOT is a problem. any suggestions whats wrong?

backfire

It's usually a sign of timing being off a bit,but it also could be anything from a bad coil pack to possibly a plugged filter or injector

Check the fuel filter first, then the fuel pressure.

I had an '87 Park Ave that a similar problem. The crankshaft position sensor was bad. It took a special tool to align the sensor. The sensor goes behind the ballancer and must be aligned so that it doesn't make contact with the ring on the back of the ballancer hub. The later models didn't require the alignment tool, so you might not need it. I borrowed one from the GM dealer. The ballancer is also a problem on these cars. The outer ring will seperate from the inner hub. If the engine starts making a loud noise check the ballancer first. If the car has more than 140,000 miles then you need to consider a new timing chain set. If it jumps time you will have to remove the heads and replace a bunch of bent valves and push rods. Mine did this too.
    Moser Engineering dealer

thanx

now I at least know what to look for. thanx again.

Angry not the fuel filter

just changed it yesterday......ugh! hoped it would be simple. now it has trouble starting. I gotta get it in to inspect the crank sensor doohickey.. will let you know how this ends up.