Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.

Thread: Part number help

Part number help

Hello, everyone. I need to see if anyone here has access to GM parts books. I need to confirm a part number. The number is 1392126. It is a planetary gear set. I am trying to confirm what it "includes". I.E. -If it is just six gears, or a complete carrier, with gears. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to get my '55 back on the road ASAP. --Thanks! -Zach

Thanks for all the help,guys. I guess i'll swap in a Chevy 350, and Turbo 350, since I can't find any Dynaslush parts.------

I have seen kits on Ebay. click here
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks, Rcull. --I need a "planet carrier" for my DF. ---------I'll attach a picture of what happened to my old one. -- Note the thrust washer in the foreground. It used to have little alignment tangs that sat in holes in the planet carrier drum.-------Also note the pieces of the carrier "drum" that exploded. This happened in low gear with less than 1/2 throttle application, with a stock 264 v-8. I think the previous owner (unknown individual) liked doing "neutral drops" ---Zach

Believe it or not that destruction happens also when the linkage is not set-up correctly or the mounts/thrust pads aren't in great shape. What happens is for a split second the trans. hits reverse. This could have happened when you were accelerating even at 1/2 throttle. It doesn't matter how much power the engine has, even if it's only running on 4 cylinders. Reverse is reverse when going forward & that's what happens to the planetary's.

Tom T.

Good theory there, Tom. My Motor mounts, tranny mount and thrust pad are all new. (less than two years old). I'm a professional auto technician, and I think I'd know if i had a linkage issue. I rebuilt the engine two years ago, and the only thing I didn't do is rebuild the tranny. (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) The only warning I got prior to this failure was a slight shudder when backing up. I attributed this to band slippage, or leakage past the apply servo seals. I can't imagine it causing sudden failure of the planet carrier. As soon as I find the part I need I'm fully rebuilding the unit anyway, so all possible internal issues will be dealt with. In fact, the rest of the tranny looks great. My last Dynaflow had a broken torque convertor sprag, a broken reverse band anchor (typical problem), and broken parking lock linkage (in the tailhousing). It turned out fine. Thanks for the input. Merry Christmas! --Zach P.S. Did I mention the 500 H.P. Nitrous shot I was running that day?

Update!

Well, Rusty at Northwest transmission parts was able to help me with the planetary carrier I needed, and a rebuild kit. I got 'er done this past weekend. The Dynaflow is as good as new. Apparently, there are two different versions of the back half of the planet carrier! One is like my old one, with "open" sections on the back side, and then another that is solid, and therefore stronger. I was gonna take a picture of the "new" one, but I was anxious to install it. Anyway, all is well. Thanks for the support! --Zach