Thread: Oil pan removal???

Oil pan removal???

I have a 1977 buick skylark, have a 1976 buick regal 350 that i installed in it i am having problems getting the oil pan off the car so i can replace the gasket i can get a gasket on it but really would like to get the pan off so i can make sure it is clean ...anyone have this problem ?? any help would be appreciated. transmission, frame, and exhaust all in the way to get it out.?????
    Last edited by rowdyron; 11-14-2007 at 09:59 AM.

Unhappy you're not gonna like it

Your best bet is to yank the engine out of the car. That way you'll have room to maneuver and scrape & clean the old gasket off the block. But if you are insistent that the engine stay home....you can try unbolting the motor mounts (maybe exhaust and trans??) and partially raising the engine with a hoist until you have enough clearance for the oil pickup tube...I have been able to change oil pans w/the partial lift (only once- and it was a chevy motor), but it was SUCH A PAIN IN THE A$$ I wished I had spent the time to yank it out fully. Sorry for the bad prognosis. hope you get it done soon! and best of luck!! keep 'em driving!

You could remove the trans. dust cover and remove the oil pump pickup tube ( be sure you have a new gasket for it ) and unbolt eng. mounts and raise the eng. up as stated . HTH
    John
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

THank you yeah was hopeing not to have to remove the engine but looks like tht is the only way to go ty again