Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.

Thread: 89 buick electra park avenue wont start

89 buick electra park avenue wont start

We bought it from Ebay so we don't have history with the car. It hesitated on shifting from 1-2 gears then ran fine. It is not the transmission. In week two of owning it it started stalling out and when it did run you had to stomp on the gas after being in idle at a light.

With any car we buy we dropped it off to the fix it guy. He can not get the car to turn over (crank). He replaced the crank sensor and that did not solve the problem (we are only on the first day and the first look through so bare with him this is more for me then him) There are no errors on the diagnostic. The fluids have not been changed yet because of the above referenced problem. Most posts I read seem to come back to the magnet on the crankshaft and many suggest turning it around so the sensor does not pick it up.. is this possible?

Maybe I should also add that the car does NOT have a security system and has 136,000 on the engine.

The first thing to do is test for ing. spark at coil and plugwires when cranking eng. and to check for inj. signal at the fuel inj.
    To Test fuel inj. turn ing. key on and unplug the connector and check with a "12v Test light"and one side should have 12volts and 0volts on other side .
    Report back what you find , also do a fuel pressure test .
    HTH
    John
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

update

They spent three days going over the car. They tried the following. Ignition coil, crank shaft magnet forwards and backwards, ignition sensor, crank sensor. They checked to see if the engine was seized and it is not, they also checked for any shavings etc and it is clean. The fuel pump and filter were also changed out. The car wants to start and does the wrrr wrrr that all cars do. It just doesn't engage. He seems to think it is electrical in nature. Like I said, we did manage to get a diagnostic on the car before it puked and nothing came up on the diagnostic. The car died the day after the diagnostic was ran.

The car ran Ok when we got it. We sent it down there because it had a hesitation (not tranny) in between 1st and second but then smoothed out and was fine after the hesitation.

Do you have any suggestions as to what could be wrong? Some have suggested that since it does want to start that they missed the simple things like starter or even the belt.. and that the belt was possibly missed because its under a plastic cover.

I have always taken my cars to these gentlemen and never have had a problem with their researches and fixes.. but this dumb founds me. In doing the above I would assume they performed the tests you requested???
    Last edited by Rescue27; 11-12-2007 at 08:20 PM.

Hi,
    I have a similar problem...I have a 90 buick century with a 2.5 and I have replaced the injector, TPS, computer, ingnition module (under coil pack ) and crank sensor. and computer and I can not seem to get it running when you do get it running it starts hard and it will run for awhile any where from 5 min to 2 hrs then it will die ... I have no clue what else could be wrong like you I am at the end of my rope when it comes to this car...

Bill