Thread: 1963 401 Wildcat Convertible

1963 401 Wildcat Convertible

Hello All

Just signed up to Team Buick today after purchasing my car two weeks ago. I stumbled across your site and enjoyed reading the professional and detailed info shared amongst each other and hoped you could help me out (already)

1) Just rebuilt the power top motor/pump. Is it o.k. to bleed the system with the cylinders connected to the top and repeatedly raising/lowering the top to rid the system of air or will this burn/wear the motor out?

2) Oil leak from engine oil pan/ rear main seal ? I am about to change the pan gasket so I might as well change the rear seal to eliminate all doubt.I was wondering if this will be the rope style, if so, is there a modern updated seal that will be better or should I stick to the rope?

Like I said, I'm a "newbie" and worse yet I'm not to handy with a computer so please be patient (lol) and any-thing you see I'm doing wrong or some-thing I should be doing on your site please let me know

Thanks and hope to hear from ya !

Oil leak from engine oil pan/ rear main seal ? I am about to change the pan gasket so I might as well change the rear seal to eliminate all doubt.I was wondering if this will be the rope style, if so, is there a modern updated seal that will be better or should I stick to the rope?

excellent question.

yes, it's a rope seal which explains most of the leak.

i have modern neoprene two piece seal part numbers for the SBB and BBB but i've never gotten anything for the Nailhead. hopefully someone can chime in with a part number cross.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I have front & rear neoprene seals in stock. $40.00 both or $30.00 rear only plus shipping.

Tom T.

hey guys, thanks for the info on the oil seals