-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Carbeurator Options?

Carbeurator Options?

Have the 263 with a 2-barrel Stromberg on my 52 special, does anyone know of a better or more modern carb I can switch to? I know that I won't be able to keep the throttle/ignition assembly, but I'll just mount a small starter button under the dash. Would like one that I could buy new and can get parts or rebuild kits easy down the road.

Carburetors

I saw with my own eyes is a 1950 Mercury with a Rochester 2 barrell from a 327 Chevy. I don't know whats wrong with a Stromburg, I'm not sure what CFM's they are. I do know if the Straight 8 don't get enough of fuel. The will burn valves, and run very hot as well. A few years ago a friend built a 400 small block Chevy for his pick up. He was using it to pull different size trailers, it pulled real good. But did it run hot! He tried everything under the sun to cool it down a little. It didn't work, I asked what size carburetor (Holley) do you have on it. 700 CFM, I suggested he put bigger jets in it. After 2 months of fooling around. He called me, he said he put the bigger jets in, and the coolant temperature dropped 15 degrees. He went one more size bigger, and dropped another 5 degrees. Then he wasn't happy because of the fuel mileage. I had no suggestions at that point. Something to keep in mind about carburetors.
    Buick Roadmaster
    Model 76S
    Anthony
    aka Straight80

str 8 carb's

Rochester 2GC's 4 bolt pattern same as str 8 Buick 4 bolt carb pattern. Used on many GM products. Hope thar helps

str 8 carb's

Rochester 2GC's 4 bolt pattern same as str 8 Buick 4 bolt carb pattern. Used on many GM products. Hope that helps.

carbs for the straght 8

Yea we have guys using all kinds of carbs on buicks. The strombergs were ok but I think they werent as good on gas mileage as the carters. The hot rodders loved /hated the strombergs. the rochesters and carters both used needle jets, were good economy carbs. holleys were good racing carbs and also for street use. all the straight 8,s, could use a bigger carb just have to find a good carb guy to tune them in, along with some spark timing..