Thread: 1955 Door handles and window handles and window regulator

1955 Door handles and window handles and window regulator

Hello !

I would like to know what is the best way to remove the door and window handles on the car. I can see they have a u shaped pin holding them on. Could one just use a screw driver and push these off? Or are is there a special tool that one needs to get to remove them.

Another question, The rear window regulator is broken on the left side of my hardtop. I have a replacement but would like to know if there is a way of attack on it. Remove the seat and ulpulestry to get at the sucker?

Thank you!

John Navarro

Hi John,

The tiny clips that hold the window cranks on are commonly referred to as "Jesus Clips" because when they let loose they typically have the power to fly at light speed in any direction causing the person removing said clip to cry "Jesus!!!" knowing they will NEVER find it.

A clever person can use a screwdriver to gently push both sides of the clip out (one side at a time of course) but a window crank removal tool does a much better job. Basically, the tool slips behind the crank into a small slot that the clips rests in. Once in the slot, simply push towards the base of the crank and the clip will pop up enabling you to pull the crank off. When using the tool you can push with one hand and cup your other hand around the base of the crank so when the clip does let loose, it will hit your hand instead of flying into the blackhole that all of these clips goto whenever they take flight.

The above tool can be found at most any auto parts store. While yer there, you may wanna go to the "HELP" section and take a look at the back side of a window crank so you can see what it looks like and where the clips snaps into.

The only way I know of to get at the rear window regulator is by removing the seat then the upholstered side panel. Behind it should be a panel that can be removed for easier access to the regulator.

I hope this helps. Good luck. Dave
    Last edited by nailheadroadster; 10-03-2007 at 12:14 PM.