From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970

Thread: drove it finally - first time in 20 years.

drove it finally - first time in 20 years.

The car is not ready for inspection yet but today for the first time I took the car off the dollys. I verified that all of the wheels turn ok (no terrible brake problems - will rebuild them later). Then I started the car (for the first time with the foot pedal instead of doing it by moving the linkage with my hands. After it started right up, I still had to adjust the choke manually as it warmed up. I have not made a new heat pipe yet. Also, the throttle linkage needs some more adjustment.
    Anyway, I put it in drive and did not feel anything but the engine sounded slightly different. I took my foot off the break and advanced the throttle a little and halleluia, the car moved. I drove it around the building several times. Then I tried reverse. It worked. The transmission has not been rebuilt - just new fluid. I then drove it a bit more around and around in the general area. My exhaust pipe is only being supported at both ends (by flange bolts and at the rear by mechanics wire) so I did hear some clunking under there. The suspension felt a little funny when I went over bumps. I am sure it is because it needs overhauling but I think that it is because this is the first time I drove a car that had coil springs in the rear.
    Anyway, I have lot of work to do but it is good news that the transmission appears to be ok so far.
    Rebecca
    1950 Buick Super Riviera
    1958 Desoto Firesweep
    http://www.pangalacticconsortium.com/cars/cars.htm

Hey, Rebecca! I have seen your DeSoto before, on the Forwardlook.net website, if I recall correctly. I'm glad to see I'm not the only person that likes Forwardlook cars AND Buicks! I currently have a '55 Special two door hardtop. I unfortunately sold my '58 DeSoto (Firesweep) a couple of years ago, and also sold my '58 Dodge (Coronet)recently. I don't have the space or time for more than one classic car at a time, unfortunately. Good luck with your Buick and Desoto! --Take care!

Hey Rebecca Glad to see you here. For what it's worth my suspension is a little sketchy going over bumps too. Praise the lowered!

Talking Front Suspension

Hey Rebecca,

How You Do'in?

The funny feeling front end could be due to an assortment of things.
    Bad Shocks
    Alignment.
    There are only about 24 grease fittings in the front end that are a little dry and probably require a little TLC.
    The fact that the Buick is operational is a big plus.
    If you were sitting idle for 20years and decide to move around a little bit, you wouldn't do it naturally. You would be probably be a little stiff also

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861