- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Cam/cam bearing replacement

Cam/cam bearing replacement

My 30 year old memory says there is a trick to camshaft removal and can't remember what that is. Help with that please?
    Also I remember that it is necessary to have the block align bored/honed if new cam bearings are installed. The manual I have says that the bearings that are installed in the block are a smaller inside diameter as they are installed into the block from front to back and then it is align honed to have the inside diameters the same and aligned with the crank. Is this still pertinent info?
    Any tips on the cam/cam bearing removal and installation are much appreciated. THX, mark

The only thing I can think of that you need to be concerned with is that you get the bearings aligned properly so the oiling holes align with the holes in the block. I happened to have a cam lyining on my work bench and I just measured the bearing surfaces. The one on the rear is considerably smaller than the front one and all the ones in between are stepped up from the one in the back. This allows you to get the cam all the way in except for that last inch or so with out having to touch any bearing surfaces until it's time to seat the cam. The steps are part of the design and I don't think you need to do any kind of line boring. Racers are continually changing cams with the engine in the car; it would be impossible and impractical for them to have the line bore the engine everytime they swapped out a cam.

Ed

Thanks Ed, so a set of cam bearings would be marked for position as they would have different inside diameters? Is this particular to this block? Any experience with aftermarket cams such as the TA 212? Or the old KB Mark2? THX, mark

Most engines are built with the staggered cam bearings to ease assembly.

I put a Poston NH300 cam in a '66 425 that I rebuilt a few years ago; I bored it 0.030 over at the same time. I can't tell you that I've had any experience with it because right after I got the engine rebuilt, I was made an offer on the car I couldn't refuse. I sold the car with the engine that was in it and I've never come up with another project yet for this 425. I bought a 67 Riv from a guy one time who bought the 66 engine thinking it would swap in. I found a good 430 for the Riv, drove it a couple of months and sold it for a tidy profit and kept the nailhead.

A friend of mine in Denver has a 1917 Buick Touring that he thinks I should build into a hi-boy roadster and use this engine to power it. It's the first thing that's had possibilities in a long time.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.