Thread: big block, little block - visual differences

big block, little block - visual differences

Reading a general overview of Buick engines, in which the author suggests that it is "almost impossible" to tell a 350 from a 455 (not GS) at a glance.

Is this accurate? Most of the big blocks I have seen in pics. are gussied up with chrome and aftermarket stuff. How would a layman like my humble old self know the difference?

Thanks

Reading a general overview of Buick engines, in which the author suggests that it is "almost impossible" to tell a 350 from a 455 (not GS) at a glance.

pure BS. he just doesn't know enough about his subject.

you can look here:
    http://www.teambuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9402

but the short version is that the Buick 350's all have 6 bolt valve covers while all of the Buick big blocks ( 400, 430, 455 ) have the same 5 bolt valve covers. there are also differences with the intake manifold width ( but you'd have to use a tape measure and i don't have that measurement handy ), a different shape between the oil pan and timing cover, and the distributor clocking is different. it's kind of pointless to go with all of that other stuff when you can just count bolts in a valve cover though.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Well Said

Thanks for the prompt and to-the-point response. Just what I needed. Clearly, this fellow is not Buick-savvy

Cheers