Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: overheating problems

I didnt read every word so this may be a really stupid question. Has the thermostat been changed? Is it possible in backward or even the wrong temperature thermostat?
    MY 69 GS 400 1 of 5444

(455 powerplant with stage one heads, carb, distributor, TA 118 cam.)

Dad-70 455 Stage One 1 of 1785
    Dads 2nd 69 GS 400 conv 4 speed 1 of 213
    Mom- 69 GS 400 conv auto 1 of 1564
    Brother- 70 Riv w/ stage one engine
    Brother- 70 GS 350 1 of 8840
    Lil'st brother 71 gs 455 1 of 1378

To go along with the thermostat question IS there one in there. You mentioned TA water pump. Forgive me for not knowing if that means as in Pontiac Trans Am. The reason I as is that a friend of mine went through hell to figure out why his Trans Am overheated. Turns out he thought he was doing himself a favor by removing the thermo all together. Big block Pontiacs don't like not having a stat. When he put one in his problems went away. Does anybody know if big block Buicks are the same way?
    Tonerman

1955 Special
    Two Door HT
    264 V8
    Dynaflow

Houston (Katy)
    Texas

I have recently been through similar headaches. I found the problem was solved when a different partsman noticed that there were actually three options for the fan clutch. Standard, Heavy Duty, and Extra Heavy Duty! The last was available but not quickly. I got it and it took care of the problem. It sucks more air more of the time, you can really hear it.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerman View Post
    To go along with the thermostat question IS there one in there. You mentioned TA water pump. Forgive me for not knowing if that means as in Pontiac Trans Am. The reason I as is that a friend of mine went through hell to figure out why his Trans Am overheated. Turns out he thought he was doing himself a favor by removing the thermo all together. Big block Pontiacs don't like not having a stat. When he put one in his problems went away. Does anybody know if big block Buicks are the same way?

TA stands for TA Performance products Scottsdale AZ. There are only 3 Buick performance stops that actually exist in the US. TA, Poston, and used to be KennedBell. The 455 has 2 waterpumps and the aftermarket manufactures commonly put the wrong water impeller in and wont move enouph water. I know this from working at TA Performance. The fan (3 clutch settings) would not over heat his car that fast. More ideas and troubleshooting is nessasary on the 455.
    MY 69 GS 400 1 of 5444

(455 powerplant with stage one heads, carb, distributor, TA 118 cam.)

Dad-70 455 Stage One 1 of 1785
    Dads 2nd 69 GS 400 conv 4 speed 1 of 213
    Mom- 69 GS 400 conv auto 1 of 1564
    Brother- 70 Riv w/ stage one engine
    Brother- 70 GS 350 1 of 8840
    Lil'st brother 71 gs 455 1 of 1378

Yes. I had the TA water pump.

My electric fans and cleaned, fixed, orginal radiator have prevented overboiling.

One last question: what are the outer threads on the water temp switch or the TVS? I have temp swict for the electric fans--so I don't have to have the manual switch.

'63 Riviera
    '73 Riviera
    '76 Riviera
    '70 Eldorado
    '78 Tornado
    '94 Lex-***; it's good for something--getting parts!

okay--the mentors here are omnipotent.

I have the stock fan (20 x 5), and fan clutch.

It wouild be niceto get some extra HP buy using the electric--now; it doesn't over heat. But the factory set-up was better.

What is the clutch with the stiffest lock-up? Some one mentioned one for a Suburban with a 454

If going acorss counytry at 120 mph in my '76 didn't cause overheating with the stock set-up (with the crazy original owners special request for a '70 stage1 head and block).

Which clutch should I use?

'63 Riviera
    '73 Riviera
    '76 Riviera
    '70 Eldorado
    '78 Tornado

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerman View Post
    You NEED a thermostat. You want the the coolant to stay in the rdiatior long enough to dissipate heat.

The thermostat really regulates your whole coolng system.

The engine should warm up as fast as possible. removing the thermostat is going to cause rougher cold weather peformance, shorten the engines lifespan. And it should not be influenced by pressure differentials, and open and close at the appropriate time.

But there are some high-flow ones, I had before, that are MUCH more acurate than these cheapones i got--which can vary significantly than what is rated.

heat up some water on the stove,stick a thermometer in there, and see when it opens. a 180 degre on may actually open at 210.

yes--new cars do have to operate a higher temps for reduced emissions and for better cold-start drivability

I don'tsee why a '60's/'70's Buick should need less than 180 degree thermostat ( 190 was stock for my '73 and '76)

'63 Riviera
    '73 Riviera
    '76 Riviera
    '70 Eldorado
    '78 Tornado

Quote Originally Posted by rcull View Post
    I have recently been through similar headaches. I found the problem was solved when a different partsman noticed that there were actually three options for the fan clutch. Standard, Heavy Duty, and Extra Heavy Duty! The last was available but not quickly. I got it and it took care of the problem. It sucks more air more of the time, you can really hear it.
    where did you get it? ( X-tra H/D fan clutch)

On my '73, the manual calls for a thermo and torque cloth.

Thanks for reminding me to keep it stock--because its parts were designed for purpose.

But I did want to do an electric set-up to free-up some HP.

Although my 16"Zirgo single biggest, most cfm (3000cfm) electric fan does seem to work, and is the biggest that will fit in the stock shroud--so it seals the core perfectly (there is even a small cut-out in the shroud for the two 10 gauge wires to exit the shroud), I guess I've come to the conclusion the stock set-up is best.

I hate to remove this fan and the custom brackets and re-install the 20" x 5 stock fan, because this set-up is so neat. Only problem is I have to use a manual toggle switch (that just switches to ground to activate the relay).

I bought a 190 degree 3/8" coolant sensor, but I CANNOT budge the TVS or the water-temp idiot light switch, to use either hole with a reducer to accommodate my 3/8' temp switch. (the TVS or water temp idiot light trigger have NEVER been removed from this engine. Last two days, I let it soak in WD-40, and I CANNOT get them to move.

If I run into a store, and let the electric fan continue to coll down the coolant, there have been times where my Optima battery is depleted to a point where I need a jump.This fan takes ~25 amps current. So I have to have that temp switch in there to shut it off 185 degrees.

any advice on how to remove the TVS or stock temp switch? They feel like they're rusted into the intake. This stuff frustrates the ____ out of me

'63 Riviera
    '73 Riviera
    '76 Riviera
    '70 Eldorado
    '78 Tornado