From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: 300 to 455 Swap

Smile 300 to 455 Swap

I've been going over in my head the advantages of a swap from the 300 to the 455 and was wondering what some of you thought on the subject. I was thinking the 71' would be what I'd go with unless anyone knows why up or down a year or so would be of additional advantage. I know the motor mount kits are out there along with the trans crossmember any thing in doing this swap I need to be on the lookout for or stay away from? I've heard of guys who would make a 1 inch spacer between the hood and cowl that goes between the hood and hinges but it wasn't done for clearance issues more so for air. Any thoughts or insight would be great.

well, an alternative would be to turbo/super-charge the 300. the v6 engines in the mid-80's Grand National's (notorious for killing Corvettes) are a 6 cyl version of the 300 block.

if you're set on a 455 why would you not try to find a 1970 motor? maximum compression and cam and carb are both a little hotter.

if you're going to build the 455 you should get a 1975/76 block and slap aluminum heads on it. the 75/76 heads are trash but these two years have the strongest casting for the block.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Why not install a 350? I think its the same motor mounts, plus T/A makes an aluminum intake, and are working on aluminum heads. Not to mention the weight savings over a 455, plus alot of guys consider the 350 to be disposable in place of a 455 so you can get one cheap.
    Nick
    1968 Buick GS400 auto
    1972 Olds Cutlass conv. 350, 4 speed (Dad's)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    well, an alternative would be to turbo/super-charge the 300. the v6 engines in the mid-80's Grand National's (notorious for killing Corvettes) are a 6 cyl version of the 300 block.

if you're set on a 455 why would you not try to find a 1970 motor? maximum compression and cam and carb are both a little hotter.

if you're going to build the 455 you should get a 1975/76 block and slap aluminum heads on it. the 75/76 heads are trash but these two years have the strongest casting for the block.
    bob, good points I don't know alot about the Buick turbo v6 engines except that they are well sought after motors. I didn't think about huffing the 300 which is a really good idea with all the centrifugal blowers available now a days, sounds like a wolf in sheep's clothing could be fun! Thanks man! Doug

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bigblock68 View Post
    Why not install a 350? I think its the same motor mounts, plus T/A makes an aluminum intake, and are working on aluminum heads. Not to mention the weight savings over a 455, plus alot of guys consider the 350 to be disposable in place of a 455 so you can get one cheap.
    Nick,
    I like the way you think, 350s are plentiful and cheap. Bob brought up a good point about putting a blower on the 300, which got me to thinking - centrifugal type and sleeper which could be fun. I haven't ever done turbos so I'd like to stick with what I know. This being the first Buick I've ever owned I've been doing some research and I've found the specs on the Buick motors seem to be tighter than on the other GM counter parts. One things for sure you and Bob got me thinking! Thanks man, Doug