From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buick 350 vs Chevy 350?

Buick 350 vs Chevy 350?

i recently purchased a 70 buick skylark with a straight 6. my dilema is in regards to what v8 i should drop in. i can get both pretty cheap, but whats the pro's & con's? seem's to me buick 350 parts are a little harder to find and might not make as much power is the chevy. am i off base? anyone else do this chevy in a buick swap and can offer some advice? this isn't going to be a numbers matching car...so i can't see why not to go with the chevy, but i also would like to see it "all buick"

anyone?
    chris in connecticut

You are right with the parts pricing availability.

It just dissappointing to see another chevy in a Buick. People ususally do it because it's cheap. If you are really interested in building power put a Buick 455 in it, they were know as "Hemi eaters".

Remember, no matter what some guy with a 350 (VW) chevy says, you can't beat the cubes!
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

and might not make as much power is the chevy.

yeah, there's very little in the way of aftermarket parts for the Buick. www.TAPerformance.com is working on aluminum heads and a single plane intake but until they get those out ~500hp will be the most you can practically expect to make AND it will take a bunch of money to get there.

there are a bunch of Buick guys down on Long Island. you ought to see if you can find some of the regular cruises and car meets.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

When you talk about power , on the street its called TORQ. And thats what Buicks are famous for. You dont have to build a Buick up much because they have plenty of that. A 455 with alum. intake and some headers weigh about the same as a chevy small block, and Skylark,s came with them in the GS.

i'd rather keep it a small block...this is going to be a nice turn key cruiser/ driver. i have had big blocks before and there is no substitute, but its not in the cards for this car. plus i would like to try to put a 700 r-4 trnas behind it for e 4 speed auto instead of a 3 speed. i think it would make the skylark a better driver. i was told the 700 r-4 would not bolt up to a buick 350. any truth to that?

the 700r4 was only ever available with the chevy bell housing. you can still get an adapter plate if you want it to bolt up to a BOPC block but it's just one more thing.

i've heard tell that all of the 200r4 trannies have dual pattern bells on them. you have something against the 200?

see this thread for the different bell housings:
    http://www.teambuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9781
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

i heard the 700 r-4 was a better trans..thats about all

for a stock trans, yeah, it is a little better. but 200r4's can be built to handle a BBB.

on the other hand, a SBB isn't going to have the neck breaking torque of a BBB and you're putting it in a mid-size car not a full size car.

if you don't spend a whole lot of time doing burnouts or drag racing it should do fine.
    Vladimir Lenin

engines, buick or chevy

My first hot rod was a chevy powered Model A Ford., It was a stock 56' 265 incher. It garnered lots of attention becuz it was the new kid on the block. It was a fresh new design, and bolted in the Model A.Chevy,s are good engines, and very popular. Your delimma is chosing between Buick and Chevy power. Seems you really like the Chevy better and it is a good engine, and likewise the Buick is a good engine, and the parts are available. It will be a matter of your choice. All I can say is that if you run a stock well tuned BBBuick in your Skylark,you will have an engine that will develop over 500 pounds of torque all the way from start to 5 grand, and will cruise smoothly all day long, You wont need a 700r4, because that big block Buick doesnt care what transmission you have, you will have trouble keeping it from smoking the skins anyway,and wont be just another chevy powered car on cruise night. A Skylark with a Chevy is just a chevelle with Buick badges.

If I chose a Chevy motor over a Buick one it would be for one reason only,Buicks oiling system was and still is a horrible idea.I cannot believe they put the oil pump in the front timing cover and not even in the pan sump.Atleast the morons at Ford put the pump in the pan but they still failed faithfully at around 100,000 miles.I personally would not at this time anyway put a Chevy in my 65 Lark but they are a more dependable motor for sure and parts are really cheap and aftermarket stuff is available.....I am and always have been all my life a Buick owner but that oil pump thing burns me..........Otherwise I love em