263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: straight eight header how to?

Quote Originally Posted by diego64 View Post
    If not do you have any flanges made you could part with?
    thanks
    Check this guy out. He is looking into making header flanges for these engines.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=171878

I've toured foundrys, looked into what it takes to get this kind of stuff made, and I must say, it ain't easy! I have a basic background in tool&die work, so the trick is to get the parts made, on the engine to see if they will really work and then back to the foundry and see if they can pull a plug off my parts. If not, then I'll have to make the patterns and go from there. Headers are most likely first on the list, since they are well on the way to being finished and there is a header maker down around Tacoma who seems to be game to make a run, if I bring him a header to copy. alleycat

does anyone have a good description, picture, or drawing of how to modify the motor mount on a 51 as to be able to run the stock 41-42 dual exhaust?
    thanks

Diego, I just got finished with my dual exhaust project. I am currently running an old 50's Edmunds dual intake for the straight eights with two holley 94's. I acquired a set of 41-42 Buick intake and split manifold last year. The left side exhaust manifold was cracked so I had to have that welded by a good cast welder(aint cheap!) While the manifolds were being welded, I went forth with modifying the left side motor mount to be able to use the split exhaust's. I flipped the the mount thats on the motor upside down and then bent a piece of 3/8" flat stock in a 90 degree angle. I then mounted that piece to the frame where the old motor mount was located. This gave me enough space to be able to have the dual exhaust run down and underneath the car. I then dropped the car off at my exhaust guy to run 2 inch pipe all the way back running through smittys 24" mufflers. The thing sounds awesome. I have a slight exhaust leak at the top of the right exhaust manifold where the heat riser was located. I had to block off the heat risers on each manifold with 1/4 steel plates. I am going to reseal them up this weekend.

Other than fine tuning the carbs, the car sounds awesome especially through smitty mufflers. It definitely has that 50's muffler rapping sound that I love. There seems to be a little better throttle response, well as much response you can get with a dynaflow tranny. The car also seems to roll-on better at higher speeds as well.

I will take some pics this weekend and post them for you.

I have also aquired a Mallory dual point dizzy for the straight 8 that am going to install soon as well.

Fryguy

Fryguy:

Do you have any pics?

Thanks!

Gary
    ------
    1950 Special Model 43 - "Yoda"
    1948 De Soto S11 - "Bobo"

Pics of the motor mount setup. . .

Hey guys, I posted just a contrite description of how I modified my motor mount over at Ol' Skool Rodz. Heres the link

http://forum.olskoolrodz.com/showthread.php?t=38467

I just wanted to mentioned a few thinks about getting headers reproduced. We have to realize that we are working with an Engine design that has been out of production for over 50 years. Its going to be very difficult to put cost effective and custom exhaust, headers, intake, etc. in the same sentance. Unfortunately this is not a small block chevy motor where we can get a good set of headers for $150-$200. If you really want a good set of headers made, you'll need to find a good fabricator with a great reputation. This goes a long way. You want to make sure the person who is making them, knows what they are doing. You want them to fit right, look right, perform right and most of all, last a long time. The last thing you want to do is cheap out on a pair of headers that don't fit right. If they don't fit right, they are not going to perform right and if they don't perform right, its a waste of money. If you really want a good set of headers made, be prepared to spend between $700 and $1500 depending on regional location, header material, etc. I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, thats the last thing I want to do. I am just trying to set a reasonable idea of what to expect if you are looking to get a good header made. I spent $800 just to have my exhaust routed from my exhaust manifold out to rear of the car and another $300 to have my cracked exhaust manifold repaired. Thats the price you pay to have things done the right way.

Fryguy

320 mods

readin back in the strait8 posts there are some really good ideas. as far as exhaust headers, anything is better than stock, alleycat has pretty much nailed it down, intakes would be a 4 barrel [holley, quadrajet, thermoquad, carter, edelbrock, all good carbs,go 12 volt, install a pertronix ignition, make a manifold out of tubing just like a stocker. insert bearings. Cams, whatever u want, with the almost 1 inch lifters, don,t need no rollers, mild or wild cams, try some hilift rocker arms, heads? try raising the intake ports, chevy stainless valves, the siamesed intake ports still have something left, compression, fill the combustion chambers and use flattop pistons?'.balance the crank etc., install a good dampner, and just keep the rpm,s down around 5000, the [248/263's can spin a little faster] now you ask, where do i get all this stuff??or do i need it? go into the strait 8 posts. its all good info, even if its stock, the ol strait 8 is a good engine.

Big engine exhaust headers

I just finished reading all the posts on the subject of exhaust headers and no where do I find a name to contact to have a set built. I am just finishing a complete build up on a '49 320 including, 4 carb manifold (holly-weber 2 throat progressives), cam, head work, Ross 9 to 1 pistons, shot peened rods, balance, ignition, full flow oil, etc. I was able to do most of this with local talent or myself but the set of tube headers that I built are just not acceptable. I need to find a better set some place or find a name of a good fabricator. Any suggestions out there?

we build custom headers (and just about everything else) for straight 8's, most applications run about $600.00
    Last edited by ol' yaller; 04-08-2009 at 01:42 PM.

How to make a header

Quote Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
    Hey guys, I posted just a contrite description of how I modified my motor mount over at Ol' Skool Rodz. Heres the link

http://forum.olskoolrodz.com/showthread.php?t=38467

I just wanted to mentioned a few thinks about getting headers reproduced. We have to realize that we are working with an Engine design that has been out of production for over 50 years. Its going to be very difficult to put cost effective and custom exhaust, headers, intake, etc. in the same sentance. Unfortunately this is not a small block chevy motor where we can get a good set of headers for $150-$200. If you really want a good set of headers made, you'll need to find a good fabricator with a great reputation. This goes a long way. You want to make sure the person who is making them, knows what they are doing. You want them to fit right, look right, perform right and most of all, last a long time. The last thing you want to do is cheap out on a pair of headers that don't fit right. If they don't fit right, they are not going to perform right and if they don't perform right, its a waste of money. If you really want a good set of headers made, be prepared to spend between $700 and $1500 depending on regional location, header material, etc. I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, thats the last thing I want to do. I am just trying to set a reasonable idea of what to expect if you are looking to get a good header made. I spent $800 just to have my exhaust routed from my exhaust manifold out to rear of the car and another $300 to have my cracked exhaust manifold repaired. Thats the price you pay to have things done the right way.

Fryguy

How did you route the fuel lines. I see them headed for the firewall instead of around the front to the fuel pump. Thanks for any info.