-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: straight eight header how to?

Hi alleycat ...do you make these straight 8 headers and sell them I need a set for my 51 264 ..cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    The stock single exhaust is really quite bad. The stock dual exhaust that comes on the dual carb set up is quite good. But virtually any header is way better. Over on jyrki's site he shows what he did for his 320. These are not bad at all and fairly straight forward to build, if you've never done it before. These will diffinatly make power that you will feel. If you want a header that will get all the power there is to get, then you need to build a 180 degree, stepped tube, try-y. Come off the head with 1 1/2" tube about 12" long. Step up to 1 5/8" tubing and merge the two togather someplace handy that all pipes can be grouped togather. Join 1-8, 6-3, 2-7, 5-4.Total lenth should end up about 36''-46'' long. + or - 10'' wont hurt anything, in fact non equal lenth broadens the torque curve. Dump it all into a merge collector of 2 1/2''. Collector lenth of about 28'' will work great. Have fun. alleycat

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    The stock single exhaust is really quite bad. The stock dual exhaust that comes on the dual carb set up is quite good. But virtually any header is way better. Over on jyrki's site he shows what he did for his 320. These are not bad at all and fairly straight forward to build, if you've never done it before. These will diffinatly make power that you will feel. If you want a header that will get all the power there is to get, then you need to build a 180 degree, stepped tube, try-y. Come off the head with 1 1/2" tube about 12" long. Step up to 1 5/8" tubing and merge the two togather someplace handy that all pipes can be grouped togather. Join 1-8, 6-3, 2-7, 5-4.Total lenth should end up about 36''-46'' long. + or - 10'' wont hurt anything, in fact non equal lenth broadens the torque curve. Dump it all into a merge collector of 2 1/2''. Collector lenth of about 28'' will work great. Have fun. alleycat
    Alleycat, those split '41 exhaust look as though they would be as good as any header anyone could build. Mind you I have no dyno numbers to back up my SWAG, but I am looking at a set as I type, and I think it would be hard to improve them as built. Have you had the chance to compare them versus a good set of headers on the same engine?

Jim

Alleycat has not been on this forum since June of 2013.

Oh crap!

Jim

headers

I've returned to Team Buick. I got booted off, looks like some sort of 'puter problem. Talking to one of the moderators, he mentioned that at the same time there was some sort of problem with other members. I couldn't even get on as a visitor, seemed to fix itself a while back, so, here I are!

Headers; I was trying to get Stan of "Stan's Headers" here in the area to make some if I provide something to copy. And, "you want how many hundred?" He is up to his ears with work... There's not enough hours in the day to fab 'em up one at a time. That said, the exhaust manifolds that come on the factory dual carb unit, are good, and with a little work can be made a lot better. Clean up and open up, the inside if the of the manifold where it bolts up to the head, don't hog it out, just clean it and make it a little larger than the port in the head. Where the exhaust pipe bolts to the manifold, don't just bolt up a 2 1/2" compression bent pipe and call it good, it'll work but it kills the velocity. Make a reducing conic, from 2 1/2" to 2". Make a venturi or a anti-reversion cone, weld it into the conic. Don't join the two outputs into one. 2" mandrel pipe, separate until down around the bell housing, collector. Nice as you're gonna get, short of a header. Alleycat

Headers

John Hemingway out in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Had a set of manifolds cast, for the small engine. He was/is looking for enough interest to have a run . Price dependent upon number cast.

Ben

dual exhaust manifolds

A few years ago, I was thinking about cutting down a 320 dual carb manifold in order to get a larger intake runner volume. I compaired the 248-263 exhaust to the 320, they looked to be exactly the same! Only the intake was extended to fit the longer 320. I did'nt do a breakdown bolt up to be absolutely sure, because I came up with a much better intake solution, but...Does anyone know fore sure if they are indeed the same? I can't walk out into the shop at this time to check for sure. It would mean that it's a one shoe fit's all. Alleycat

dual carb exhaust manifolds

Back in the shop, after a long absence. I pulled out all my dual carb stuff, turns out, exhaust manifolds for the dual carb set-up are the same for both 248 and 320. So, in a pinch, a person could mix & match to come up with a functional set-up. Answering my own question. Alleycat