Thread: org. or resto. mod

org. or resto. mod

First off thanks bob for all your help . yesterday I took off the whole front end , my rad suport is rusted around the body mounts , need one. Can these be bought new , or if anyone reading I am in the market .The front fenders have some small amounts of rust at the bottom I am now having them fixed , has anyone tried fiberglass fenders on their car or hood or trunk lid .I have had a vette or two ,and you can lean on them or get a rock chip an not think about dents. But these are just thoughts . Iwould like to your feedback . I have found out learing through some one elses mistakes saves lots of money. I am building this car for the pure enjoyment of muscle cars , My step son loves helping and learning about old muscle . Keeping the kids involved is whats its all about. Keeping that in mind the car we are restoring is a 72 2bl skylark post , nothing great ! but we do a 70 console and shifter , buckett seats , and a 70 455 (which from doing research I think is a stage 1) We are making a gsx clone. I would like anyones thoughts ? I was thinking of making it look like what it would if someone tricked it out in 72 . mabey crager ss or tork thrust , or mabey even daisys . mabey a single chamber flowmaster or something quieter with pull release cut outs . old sun gauges . mabey white tuck and roll interior , but I do not want it to look tacky ,Iwant it to look clean , I am 28 years old , so all of this is before my time .

Resto mods are the best!

My personal favorite is the exterior body and interior to look 100% factory new (even if it looks GSX new); no crazy seats or weird body work. Then a serious engine under the hood with great power and updated with fuel injection. Next, an overdrive tranny, either manual or auto, and finished out with bigger brakes (disc or drum, as long as they are bigger) and some sort of posi device in the rear end. I also must have factory looking and good performing A/C and cruise control!

That's one of the reasons I like Buicks so much! Most of them had that stuff to begin with!

Have fun; that's most important. My son is not old enough yet but I can't wait to see if he will follow me into the garage!
    I like putting buick engines where they don't belong.

I got a 72 skylark that i'm doing but we got a problem here in Ontario if u get caught going 50km over they impound u're car for minimum 1 week and u pay storage fee's,towing,and when u go to court they can crush u're car fines can go up to 10,000 bucks and i don't want to be the first clasic to get crushed.My son is now 24 and still loves to come and work in h the shop on cars.So i'm keeping my car mild,daul exhaust, four barrel,rally stripes(old school)on the road by may i hope.

Learning from someone's else's mistakes would be great. I just wish I could learn from my own mistakes.
    I have had chances to buy a lot of father and son disassembled project cars, as well as a lot of just other abandoned projects. There is no shortage of them.
    A minority of restorers have what it takes to complete a big job. The majority finds that the combination of money and time never happen concurrently. For quite a few years I have teasingly said that a person should be required to post a $30,000 bond before they can disassemble an old car for restoration. Think about it. Are there 300 $100 jobs ahead of you?
    You may have intested four or five hours into the disassembly of the front clip, at no large cost, and unearthed a whole ton of expenses and time in little jobs required before reassembly. It is best to focus on gettting that clip back on nicely.
    The key, especially in the father/son situation, is to keep the car running as much as possible through the process. It is a lot more fun to drive a car than clean and scrape and paint. Interest from one party can dwindle fast.
    A friend of mine and I termed this component restoration years ago. Keep the car in tact and drivable as you make progress in appearance and reliability.
    I always own a car for my pleasure first. If there is a rust hole, frayed upholstery, scaly bottom and it gets pointed out at a cruise night at least I drove it there. And the person pointing it out will usually tell you about the disassembled car he has at home.
    Keep it running for two big smiles!
    Bernie

I hear u

I'm keeping mine mobile i love just to drive it,but i bought it as a daily driver.I've got people trying to tell me what to do to it,what they think is not my problem.I'll tear apart what needs to be fixed and fix it,but i'm doing what i want after all it's mine.The ordering of parts has started even though we still got 5ft. of snow on the ground and the car is under the cover,in the shop and warm.I can't wait for spring so i can wash and wax it this is my first Buick i was always a chevy man.We have a showing in the next town every sunday nite in the summer but i hear they like to pick cars apart so i don't think that i'll attend that.Most of those guys do total body off restorations and bigger motors etc.I'm not going that far with this car yet,who no's though.