- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: 1969 GS 400 wiring question

1969 GS 400 wiring question

I have a GS 400 with AC and facing a wiring nightmare under the hood. I have all the wiring diagrams and assembly manuals, but just can’t seem to track one particular wire.
    On the firewall from the AC extension harness to the engine harness there is a connector that comes from the realy and has what looks like a 10 gauge red wire that continues to the front of the engine. From what I can tell, it either connects to the alternator or the starter. Any help with this mystery would be appreciated.
    Before you ask all the wires have been molested and I cant tell from length.

What relay does this wire come from ? Is this the high blower relay ? Need more info.
    John L.
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

It's the relay that sits dead center of the firewall just right of the voltage regulator. I think thats the blower relay. Thanks for any help.

The connector should have three wires the red wire goes to the battery ( this is the 10 gage connector off of the + battery cable ), dark blue/white wire goes inside to blower switch , purple wire goes to blower motor , if it has a orange/black wire it goes to A/C selector switch inside car .
    HTH
    John L.
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

First of all, I HIGHLY recommend replacing the whole harness. It is a lot easier than you think, and if it takes you more than about 90 minutes then there is a real problem. They are about $200. I just installed one that was made by M&H, and they had 5 on the shelf at the time (mine was a '68 Sportwagon but I think yours is the same).

Next, I'm pretty sure the blower motor has a green wire (or is it purple) and it is maybe 12-gauge, but I don't think it is 10-gauge. The only 10-gauge wire I can think of goes to the alternator, and I know that one is red. It should have a ring terminal at the end to connect to the alternator. The other end of the wire goes into the voltage regulator (which could be mistaken for a HUGE relay I guess).

The other wire it might be is the primary lead from the starter, but this should have a very large ring terminal (much bigger than the one for the alternator) and a fusible link (which is black I think).

-Bob Cunningham