From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 252, 231, 225,198, 196
- 225 V-6 Engine Specifications
    - 2 Less = More, Stage II V-6
- The Baker Buick V-6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member says hi and has a vacuum question

New member says hi and has a vacuum question

New member from ohio, i'm driving a 81 cutlass with the 231 non turbo, egr, w/smog. The question i have is that there is some sort of a vacuum switch that most of my vacuum lines run into, it bolts down to the passenger side valve cover. The issue is that its old and corroded and my mechanic said i need a new one but his parts supplier doesn't carry them. Does anyone know where i can buy this thing at? The only numbers i found on it are on the firewall side of it and it says 5 261 on top line then DR 504 below it. Any help?

Even if you are lucky enough to find one in a wrecking yard, they will all be old and crappy like yours.

Your best bet is to go to advance auto or NAPA and have them let you look at their emissions parts catalog. Pick one or more that you can substitute and keep on going.

Being a former Ohio resident (in the sticks with no smog tests) I removed all of the smog stuff from my cars when it started malfunctioning. You need the vacuum that goes into the cabin for the heater controls and the cruise control. The EGR stuff can go the way of the dodo..
    I like putting buick engines where they don't belong.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisW View Post
    Even if you are lucky enough to find one in a wrecking yard, they will all be old and crappy like yours.

Your best bet is to go to advance auto or NAPA and have them let you look at their emissions parts catalog. Pick one or more that you can substitute and keep on going.

Being a former Ohio resident (in the sticks with no smog tests) I removed all of the smog stuff from my cars when it started malfunctioning. You need the vacuum that goes into the cabin for the heater controls and the cruise control. The EGR stuff can go the way of the dodo..
    hmmm....how would i go about doing removing the egr and what not? is there some sort of a delete kit? excuse my lack of engine knowlege...car audio is my specialty

Removing the EGR on any 80's car, especially the 3.8 Buick, will cause it to ping it's head off even using premium fuel. Same with an Olds engine car. Chevy's & Pontiacs were more forgiving. EGR's help to cool the combustion chamber temps. & reduce NOX. I know I used to do the same thing & the problems that manifested were sometimes worse. Look on EvilBay, go to the Turbo forums. Someone has to have something. NAPA does have alot of parts, just look at their catalogs.

Tom T.

When I worked as a Buick mechanic many years ago there was a stiff fine something like $10,000 for eliminating an emissions system. I'm not sure if that is still the case but you should check before eliminating anything. I also think a person should know what somthing does before changing it or you will end up with more problems like Telriv said.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

thanks for the heads up guys, looks like i'll be keeping mine and heading to NAPA tonite when i get off work

bummer.....napa has nothing

I didn't seem to have the above problems described but maybe I was lucky.

Anyway, when you went to NAPA, did they let you look at their catalog or just tell you that they didn't have it. If you looked in the catalog then you didn't look hard enough.

Your new part could come from ANYTHING, Ford, GM, import or whatever.

If you post a picture we could probably help you more. I'm not sure what switch you are talking about and seeing it would help. I know you can still get the switch that goes into the water port on the intake, sometimes you have to use a pipe adapter to go from what they have to what you have.

Give us a picture and we'll see what you have.

this is the switch I am most familiar with

this thing has 6 different vacuum lines running into/out of it. One goes to the EGR, 2 go to the carb, one goes to the canister, etc.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...1/DSC01856.JPG