Thread: Air conditioning gremlins

Air conditioning gremlins

Hello and thanks again. Same car, 64 Skylark wagon originally AC equipped. During rebuild I replaced all the AC components including drier, condensor, evaporator, suction valve, lines, compressor and clutch. I did not replace the dash mounted blower switch but did replace blower motor/heater core. Wiring all looked good from stock harness.

Charged system with 134a and matching oil after evacuation. Blower switch is 3 speed and original as far as I can tell. AC works fine but you do have to gingerly move blower switch to maintain air flow. Driving along at 50 mph,fan on high suddenly AC turns off completely. Moved switch through all blower speeds and nothing... Turned down a side street, shut off fan switch and after a few minutes tried it again. Blower came back on and AC continued to blow as per normal. Switch? Relay? Other? Can't be a fuse since It came back on of its own accord. Thoughts? Thanks!
    Brettsvette
    64 Skylark Sportwagon
    "Buick is a Beauty Too"

Smile

hi

ground on relay
    Hi All:
    Just another Riviera Nut
    Currently Own:
    1968 Riviera GS (in family 33 yrs)
    1967 Riviera GS

Smile ac shutting off

Did your A/C shut off because it had come down to the desired temperature?, my 84 riviera does that. Try putting the A/C on, wait until it shuts down then open the windows to let the interior warm up and see if it comes on again. Though I think the fan should stay on low speed anyway to stop the evaporator icing up. If it shuts off completely you might find there is a thermal interrupter in the wiring circuit, if so I'd recommend putting some heavier duty wire in the system. Don't bypass the interrupter-it cuts out for a reason-better temporary loss of A/C than total loss of a wiring loom!. Good luck!.
    keeping clunkers out of the junkyards