Thread: 1951 Buick special deluxe 4 door: Opinions wanted

Exclamation 1951 Buick special deluxe 4 door: Opinions wanted

I am about to purchase my first Buick,Its a 1951 Special deluxe 4 door. it has no p/s and 3 on the column shift. 8 CYL in line
    What are the pros and cons? The car is solid all original panels and floors,repainted the original sharon Green.

What is the current market value of this car,I have not yet had a test drive...Anyone that can pitch in opinions of this car please do so.

Thanks and awaiting your replies!!

For me personally, 4 doors is a con. I once bought a 4 door 63 nova, only to sell it two years later after buying a 2 door. But, some people like them, and if you do, go for it. Just be sure.

Otherwise, one con would be that the straight 8 can be a little hard to locate parts for. They are out there, it just takes a little more work to find them, and sometimes a little more money.

On the other hand, I love having the straight 8, 6 volt, and three on the tree shift. I get so tired of seeing the Chevy 350/th350 in everything. I love peoples reactions when they ask and see what's under the hood.
    scott

Thanks for that great advise!! I agree that 4 doors is a con...but car its very solid. What about the handling and ride of this cars?

The 4 doors would probably hurt the resale value. Thanks again!!!

a solid , good running, original car is far better than whether its a 4dr, or 2dr. If you can spruce it up a little without a total professional restoration, you will get as much fun out of it just driving into a local cruise, or a full on 'Buick Club' meet.They are welcome whether top notch or 'work in progress'. Buicks are known to be good driving dependable cars, the best thing you can do is get a taller gear ratio dynaflow rear end, they are around, and you will be able to cruise with ease and better mileage in your stick shift buick. [which is kinda rare on its own]

[quote=39CENT;45464]a solid , good running, original car is far better than whether its a 4dr, or 2dr. ]/quote]

But you have to start with a platform that you love. My 4 door Nova was solid and ran great, but I couldn't see myself sticking a bunch of money into it to get it looking great. So I sold it and bought what I really wanted.

I'm just saying, whether it's a 2 door, 4 door, Special, or Roadmaster. Just make sure you start with something you really want to work with.
    scott

While I agree with Chub Chub about 4 doors not being worth what it costs to fix them up it is possible to purchase a good running, presentable car for less than the cost of a more desirable model. The 2 door hardtop I own cost more than I have invested in "Bob" and I have never driven it a lick yet.

The reduced purchase price more than makes up for the better sales price of a 2 door, and as long as your not intent on putting everything in show condition you shouldn't lose much on the deal.

Another advantage of the 4 door is all the use you get out of it as a 2nd car. If you bought a late model used car for the same amount and kept it several years it would depreciate more than a collectible older car.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

I wasn't intelligent enough to think about resale value or pros & cons when I looked for,found,and purchased my ' 55 Special with 4 doors & 3 on the tree,no radio,no power nothing,and a little 264 engine.I suffer from a genetic defect that causes me to want something & then go get it without thinking too much about important stuff like that.I purposely looked for a stick shift because I always thought they were Kool and also because that's what I learned to drive with.My Special is still fun to driveand is a beautiful 52 year old work of art.I love it .

Iddie

Just don't do any horsin' around with the tranny you have. It is the very weak 5 bolt top cover.

Tom T.

Hey Tom T,
    I hear you,and have not forgotten the goody you have.
    Iddie

55' special upgrades

If you want to make some upgrades,i believe a stronger 40,s on up roadmaster/century trans will bolt in,also the larger 54/55 roadmaster/century engines. I havnt done this but i have seen them done.anybody out there done that?