Thread: Lost Key

Lost Key

Hello all, I've lost my ignition key for my 63 electra, question? Is the key code in my vin number??? or can I remove the ignition and have a lock smith cut a new key??

thanks

John

If you have a die-stamped cut out tag from the original key, you can take the tag to a GM dealership, and they'll look up the numbers and cut a key. I had to do that for my '68 Skylark last week. It was about $20 a key, but hey, I can drive the car now!
    Otherwise, I'd carefully take out the ignition and have it key'd at a GOOD lockSmith's. I don't think there is a key code in the VIN.
    -Christy

You won't be able to remove the ignition switch without the key without destroying something. Normally the door & ignition are the same on a '63. If you unlocked the door with the same key as the ignition remove the door lock. It will be easier & there is a code that any GOOD locksmith can cut you a copy. Most GM dealers doesn't have the codes for most older cars.

Tom T.

Thanks

That helps me out, I'll check on the cut out.

Quote Originally Posted by PaisleyCat View Post
    If you have a die-stamped cut out tag from the original key, you can take the tag to a GM dealership, and they'll look up the numbers and cut a key. I had to do that for my '68 Skylark last week. It was about $20 a key, but hey, I can drive the car now!
    Otherwise, I'd carefully take out the ignition and have it key'd at a GOOD lockSmith's. I don't think there is a key code in the VIN.
    -Christy

Thanks

Tom, your right a good locksmith should help.

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    You won't be able to remove the ignition switch without the key without destroying something. Normally the door & ignition are the same on a '63. If you unlocked the door with the same key as the ignition remove the door lock. It will be easier & there is a code that any GOOD locksmith can cut you a copy. Most GM dealers doesn't have the codes for most older cars.

Tom T.