Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How rare is my wagon

How rare is my wagon

Cheers to everyone, I just wanted to introduce my self and ask a few questions. Ive read a lot of comments and questions here learned a lot, so I thought it was about time I said hello. I posted a few days ago about my engine.
    My name is Fausto and I have a 64 leSaber its a 3 seater wagon with a 425 NailHead. I belive it has a TH400 also. I know its a 425 cause the #'s on the front right side of the block and KW mark on the passenger side. The VIN # matchs and the bolt pattern on the bell housing match the 6 bolt pattern. Know, I dont want to sound like Im bragin but Im worried I might be wrong here. On the service manuel and almost everywhere here its posted, there is no sign anywhere that the 64 LeSabre 3 seater wagon came with a 425 or a th400. Back some where in between my daily reading here I came across a thread that spoke about patterns on the block (a rectanguler bump and a few dots).
    to make a long story short some one screwed up and mixed a few 425's into the 401 production line.
    So someone please help, Im dying to know. I am about ready to start looking for a shop to rebuild the engine for me. So maybe on the next post we can talk about finding a place here in Az. Thanx Guys and cherrs again

The '64 LeSabre Estate wagon could be had with the 425, KW. I Can't help you with how many had it. Probably a nice wagon!
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

I'll get out my notes on the 64 Wagons - they were series 4600 as in "Wildcat"- since they were made on the Wildcat chassis with the nailhead.
    I researched the Wildcats for 4-speed numbers- they let a couple 4-speed dual quad wagons out of Flint too! I'll find out how many 425/automatics were made from the daily production reports and report back.
    Ted Nagel
    (6)65 Wildcats; 65 Riviera; 65 Special Wagon; 65 GS; 65 Skylark; 67 Wildcat; 67 California GS; (2)68 GS400; 69 GS 350; 70 GS Stage 1; Wanted: time to fix 'em

Thanx guys, this sounds like its going to be fun. Im including some pix to back up my theory.

Last edited by StrayCatFaust; 06-18-2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Typo

And Here R some more pix of the Bell house.

Cool, yes the standard engine was a 401; they made 471 wagons (I looked at 3-seaters only) with the 425 cid engine. They were all with the automatics but one lone 4-speed 425 wagon.

There was 1 made with the dual quad and 4-speed too

This info is from the daily production reports.
    Ted
    Ted Nagel
    (6)65 Wildcats; 65 Riviera; 65 Special Wagon; 65 GS; 65 Skylark; 67 Wildcat; 67 California GS; (2)68 GS400; 69 GS 350; 70 GS Stage 1; Wanted: time to fix 'em

Wow! So theres 450+ wagons out there also? That is some awsome news

transmission

It is hard to tell if this is a ST-400 trans,it is a nailhead trans.How is the shift pattern is it PNDLR or PRND2L .THe 1st one is a dynaflow shift pattern the 2nd is a three speed SP-400(SP=switch pitch) also for the SP-400 has a slide switch at the engine throttle linkage with 2 wires.

Hey thanx for the reply. yes ur right it does have the switch connected to the throttle linkage. two wires run down to the trans.
    Anymore details? How reliable is this trans. Any mods that can be done? thanx for all ur help.

Talking transmission

Basicly the same as a turbo 400 except it has a switch pitch torque converter hence the wires I mentioned before.Perhaps one of the guys like Bob mando would have more info .You can do a search of his postings I know for a fact he has a posting with pictures of transmissions Type in Identify your transmission bell

Rocky
    Last edited by SFC ROCK; 06-22-2007 at 01:23 PM.