263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duel Carb advice

Dual Carb advice

I've got a '49 Buick with 248/Dynaflow combo and I bought a dual carb manifold. Now I need some carbs! The carb on the engine now is a Carter that needs rebuilding.

What would be some good carbs to buy for this setup? I'd like to run them 'straight-up', not progressive.
    Last edited by mn_leaf_fan; 06-13-2007 at 09:19 AM.

Ok.... I'll give a little more info, and hopefully someone can help me.

The original single intake currently has a Carter 882sa installed. It is a 4-bolt carb and I don't know if it was original.

I want to install a dual intake from a 40/41 that I bought. It is a 3-bolt pattern.

Should I buy another Carter 882 and use some 4 to 3 bolt adaptors or should I buy two 3-bolt carbs (Stromberg?).

Ease of installation is important since I don't have any fabrication experience.

I heard 2 stromberg 97,s were good, performance and mileage, but most any tunable 2 bbl carb wud work.

hey leaf fan I am having the same dilema with a stock 1951 263. I am going to use a dual carb manifold from edmunds, and have been looking for carbs. I have read somewhere on this site that the stromberg 97s might be too much for a nonbuilt motor. not to mention they are pricey. I have also seen people suggest zeniths but not sure what size.sure would like to hear some feed back from someone actually running one of these setups.

leaf fan are you staying with the stock exhaust or are you planning on changing that

I was hoping to split the exhaust, but will decide after I get the manifold installed and see how much room I have. I'll need to work around the engine mount.

has anyone on here split one of these manifolds? can you split them 4-4 or are you limited to 5-3? if 5-3 is all thats possible, does it sound strange and uneven?

Hi guys! What you want to do is get another carb like what you got, that is; a carter. Mopar used 'em, Buick up to about 55. Look down through the top of the carb, you will see 1 1/16 or 1 3/16 on the bridge between venturi's, thats the carb size. If your engine is stock, use the smaller, built somewhat, the bigger. I think that these carbs all came "4 bolt", don't use the early "3 bolt", unless you got a lot of nice ones kicking around, they're kinda small. Carters are fool proof, close the hood and forget 'em. Don't waste time on the other period carbs. Make up a spacer 3 to 4 bolt adaptor and you are good to go. It sounds like you don't have the matching dual exhaust that comes with the intake, unfortunate. Don't bother to poke holes in the single exhaust manifold to get extra pipes on it. The thing is hopeless. Period. The best solution is to fab up a header. Not easy. Dual shorties, more or less copying the factory duals, could be a very realistic alternative. No heat to the manifold could make the engine not a lot of fun to live with untill warmed up. If you live in a warm climate, well, no problem! alleycat

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Hi guys! What you want to do is get another carb like what you got, that is; a carter. Mopar used 'em, Buick up to about 55. Look down through the top of the carb, you will see 1 1/16 or 1 3/16 on the bridge between venturi's, thats the carb size. If your engine is stock, use the smaller, built somewhat, the bigger. I think that these carbs all came "4 bolt", don't use the early "3 bolt", unless you got a lot of nice ones kicking around, they're kinda small. Carters are fool proof, close the hood and forget 'em. Don't waste time on the other period carbs. Make up a spacer 3 to 4 bolt adaptor and you are good to go. It sounds like you don't have the matching dual exhaust that comes with the intake, unfortunate. Don't bother to poke holes in the single exhaust manifold to get extra pipes on it. The thing is hopeless. Period. The best solution is to fab up a header. Not easy. Dual shorties, more or less copying the factory duals, could be a very realistic alternative. No heat to the manifold could make the engine not a lot of fun to live with untill warmed up. If you live in a warm climate, well, no problem! alleycat
    I don't have the ability to make a 3 to 4 bolt adaptor, but I found some on the Vintage Speed website. Hopefully I don't have clearance issues with the adaptors.
    I do have the dual exhaust manifold but the pipes "Y" together in the engine compartment. I'd like to remove the "Y", keep them separate and run dual pipes.

Here is the manifold I bought....
    Last edited by mn_leaf_fan; 06-14-2007 at 08:02 AM.

Perfect! You got it all. Adaptor will only be about 1/2" thick. I used two over the engine air cleaners, cleared the hood no sweat. Any good exhaust shop can fab up dual exhaust. Thats exactly what I did on my 50. Works great! alleycat