Thread: Plastic Chrome trim Repair???

Thumbs up Plastic Chrome trim Repair???

Looking for info regarding the chrome plated plastic trim that runs the with of the trunk, and the two smaller pieces on each side that trim out the lower sides of a vinyl roof on a 69 GS. Mine are pitted pretty well, and I have never seen replacements for this part. Can these plastic chrome plated parts be refurbished? I know they can be re-plated or vacuum metalizing as they call it, Guess my question is who refurbishes these parts or are they sold aftermarket?

I had looked into what it takes to re-do chrome on the plastic pieces a few years ago and discovered that like you say, it is a process that required equipment to kinda electoplate it in a vacuum chamber. Thats probably not feasable for most people to do themselves, me included. I did see a few ads of some companies that will do that type of work advertising in the Hemmings catalog. Might cruise by Barnes and Noble and try checking one.

Plastic Chrome trim Repair???

My wife has several figurines. The sculptor that makes then used to have the metallic finish done using vacuum metalizing. There is a new process that he now uses which gives a shinier chrome-like finish that has a urethane clear coat to it. I will find out what the finishing system is called and reply with info. However, you still have to provise a smooth surface to apply the finish to. That means plastic body-work before you re-finish. I thought of this because I may have some armrest bases that will need the same treatment.

Plastic replating

Here are a couple of possible sources:
    www.mrgusa.com and www.cvvacuumplaters.com
    I have used cv for my Riviera dash pieces, and was quite satisfied with the results, and the charges were reasonable !
    Randy Hunter, ROA 155 - '68 Riviera GS (clone)
    "Wouldn't You Really Rather Own A Riviera ?"