- 400/430/455 Poston Cams Grinds and Numbers
- 400/430/455 Kenne-Bell Cams Grinds and Numbers
- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: Look at what I found in the oil pan???

Look at what I found in the oil pan???

Attachment 216
    Can anyone tell me what these pieces are from; found them in the bottom of the oil pan when I pulled out the 400 of a 69 GS. Heads looked good as well as the pistons from the top. I poked around looking up from the bottom of the engine but nothing seems to be out of the ordinary, in fact, I can clearly see crosshatching on the inside of the cylinder walls, is that common for an engine with 97K on it?

What size are they? Toss a quarter or something next to them so we can see the accual size of them, But they look much to large to be normal. Nothing that big should be chilling in the oil pan of anything....some metal shavings will be there, but nothing big.

-jeff-
    68 Skylark 455
    70 Volkwagen Bus Type II
    88 Riviera
    06 Mustang V6
    06 Dodge Charger R/T
    07 Yamaha Vstar Custom

test them with a magnet also.

in fact, I can clearly see crosshatching on the inside of the cylinder walls, is that common for an engine with 97K on it?

that's a good thing. the previous owners kept up with the oil and filter changes.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Smile

hi
    to me, they look like piston pieces---especially because you can see the "bubbles" on the sides of the pieces indicating that those are 'cast' as opposed to forged or stamped steel. If yours are all fine, it may, at an earlier tim in its life, had a piston replaced and the person doing it was sloppy or it lodged somewhere tight and didn't fall until after it was all buttoned up.

just my thoughts
    Rob
    Hi All:
    Just another Riviera Nut
    Currently Own:
    1968 Riviera GS (in family 33 yrs)
    1967 Riviera GS

More info on the subject

The piece are about ˝”x1/2”x1/8” thick. They are nonmagnetic. As I said before, all the pistons look good. That’s why I’m wondering; by being abele to still see crosshatching on the piston walls did someone play with this engine. I wouldn’t have thought so with all of the bolts that were busting to get to this point. Then again, find me one person who would replace something in an engine without wiping out the oil pan???

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by printor View Post
    The piece are about ˝”x1/2”x1/8” thick. They are nonmagnetic. As I said before, all the pistons look good. That’s why I’m wondering; by being abele to still see crosshatching on the piston walls did someone play with this engine. I wouldn’t have thought so with all of the bolts that were busting to get to this point. Then again, find me one person who would replace something in an engine without wiping out the oil pan???

hi again,

the reason you can see cross-hatching is because:
    1. you are looking from the bottom of the engine---the bottom two inches or so do not even come into contact with any part of the piston
    2. the piston rings are even further up another 3-4 inches so the piston should be at the very top of its travel to see any wear.
    That said, Buick blocks are not like your typical chevy or ford---they have more nickle in the recipe of the cast iron and thus really hold out with minimal wear.

Bolts busting are from old age, true, but even as little as 10 years is enough to start seizing bolts when removing.

I dont know if you have ever rebuilt an engine or not, and of course nobody would purposly replace a piston without cleanimg the oil pan, BUT, when you work on an engine, it is upside down and there are many places for little pieces to hide...even though someone thought they were thorough, it can happen. So a piston exploded-have you ever seen that---a million pieces everywhere, so once the person thought they thoroughly cleaned it, they replaced the piston and put the oil pan back on ALL WHILE THE ENGINE HAS BEEN UPSIDE DOWN. then it is turned over and after the first few minutes of running, did the pieces finally break loose and fall into the clean oil pan.

I hope that explaines it a little better for you
    best regards
    Rob
    Hi All:
    Just another Riviera Nut
    Currently Own:
    1968 Riviera GS (in family 33 yrs)
    1967 Riviera GS