From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970

Thread: Brake noise or front wheel bearing?

Brake noise or front wheel bearing?

Put new brake front hoses and pads on my 87 Lesabre last week. It was quiet till a couple days after the work. Now i hear what sounds like a chirp at about 15 mph and above I figure if it was the pads you whould not hear the noise when appling the brakes. But i do. They are cheaper semi-metalic pads. Could it be a dry wheel bearing or bearing about to go out? Thanks!

Smile

Hi Terry

I think the rattle you are experiencing is from the pads. Did you make sure to take off the clip from the back of the old pads and put them on the new ones? ( just the pad that is against the piston side of the caliper)
    If those are missing, you can also get this anti rattle (almost paint like substance)that you put on the back side of the pad( again, the one on the piston side)(inner). You will know if it is the pads by going the speed so it starts rattling, then when you apply VERY light pressure to the brake pedal and the rattle goes away---that'll be the culprit more that likely. Also, the metal tangs that warn you when the pads are getting ready for replacement may have been accidentally bent thus prematurely giving you the warning.

hope that helps
    happy motoring

Rob
    Last edited by 19RivyRob68; 05-26-2007 at 07:39 AM. Reason: forgot one thing
    Hi All:
    Just another Riviera Nut
    Currently Own:
    1968 Riviera GS (in family 33 yrs)
    1967 Riviera GS

Yuppers

I had the same problem, I believe. It was due to the Chrome clip on the pad just barely touching the surface of the rotor. look really close at the pad while it is in the caliper and check all those little tabs that the pad has to fit it tight to the caliper, make sure they're tight to the caliper and ?reccesed? so as not to touch the rotor.

Hope it works out for ya

You could check the rotor dust shields to make sure they are not rubbing the rotor . HTH
    John
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.