From the Reference Section:
- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern

Thread: 53 Super bumper repair

53 Super bumper repair

Hopefully, one of you body repair gurus can help me.

I have a 53 Super, good condition, your basic "10-footer". That's all I want it to be. I have 3 other classics and they are all the same - basic originals. I don't have the time (or money) to restore any of them perfectly, and like them pretty much just the way they are.

With that background, the only real problem with my 53 is that the front bumper is askew. On the passenger side, it has been knocked in, and on the driver side, the bottom section is bent out slightly so that the top of the bumper does not go over the protrusion of the body that is supposed to accept it. The two bolting brackets on the driver side are bent slightly.

All I want someone to do (I can't really do this myself and don't have the equipment) is take off the bumper, put a hydraulic jack or similar power tool on the driver side bottom, put the SLIGHTEST torqueing pressure on it. Then put it back on, top sides first over the body protrusions, bend (hydraulic) or weld on 1 or 2 new brackets to accept the bolts if necessary, bolt it down, and I'm done.

Many, many body shops say I'm crazy, that I have to send it to a bumper shop, have it pounded on with screwdrivers (I've been shown examples), and rechrome it, to the tune of thousands. I don't want new chrome - what I have is fine and matches all the other chrome.

So am I crazy? What's the big deal? I can post photos if that will help.

Many thanks,

L Hop

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by L Hop View Post
    Hopefully, one of you body repair gurus can help me.

I have a 53 Super, good condition, your basic "10-footer". That's all I want it to be. I have 3 other classics and they are all the same - basic originals. I don't have the time (or money) to restore any of them perfectly, and like them pretty much just the way they are.

With that background, the only real problem with my 53 is that the front bumper is askew. On the passenger side, it has been knocked in, and on the driver side, the bottom section is bent out slightly so that the top of the bumper does not go over the protrusion of the body that is supposed to accept it. The two bolting brackets on the driver side are bent slightly.

All I want someone to do (I can't really do this myself and don't have the equipment) is take off the bumper, put a hydraulic jack or similar power tool on the driver side bottom, put the SLIGHTEST torqueing pressure on it. Then put it back on, top sides first over the body protrusions, bend (hydraulic) or weld on 1 or 2 new brackets to accept the bolts if necessary, bolt it down, and I'm done.

Many, many body shops say I'm crazy, that I have to send it to a bumper shop, have it pounded on with screwdrivers (I've been shown examples), and rechrome it, to the tune of thousands. I don't want new chrome - what I have is fine and matches all the other chrome.

So am I crazy? What's the big deal? I can post photos if that will help.

Many thanks,

L Hop
    HI,

In my opinion, the best cheeepy way is take it to a body shop that has a frame straightener, even if they charge you a couple of hours, its better because the brackets will be pulled with the bumper----do not drill holes in it!

just my thoughts
    rob
    Hi All:
    Just another Riviera Nut
    Currently Own:
    1968 Riviera GS (in family 33 yrs)
    1967 Riviera GS