From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970

Thread: 1952 Buick Roadmaster wheels/drums question

1952 Buick Roadmaster wheels/drums question

I have a 1952 Roadmaster that i am giving some attention to, being painted as we speak and I just got a set of smoothies and 3" whites.

When I went to test fit the wheels I saw there was a locating pin and a rivet that stuck out a bit. I am pretty sure I can remove the locating pin with no ill effect however I have no idea what the round rivet is sticking out. Can these both be removed? What have others done?

I will probably stay drums for the rest of this year at least so any advice would be helpful.

Thanks all.

The locating pin does 2 things, it locates the wheel and holds the brake drum in place. These can be removed but the down side is that the brake drum can move slightly as the brakes are applied in both directions, which will loosen the wheel also. It is best to use the proper wheel that has the locating holes.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

I didn't know someone actually made an aftermarket wheel that fit perfectly, I guess I will have to ship these back and start my search again.

Also, how can the wheel loosen and the drum move when the bolts are all installed & torqued? This is a new one for me, I am trying ot get the logic behind that - unless its a 50's car thing that I havent run across.

You can safely remove the rivets and the locating pins. I took them off of my '50 Super to put smoothies on it & never had a problem. As with all old cars, it's a good idea to check your lug nuts every so often.
    Good luck!

-phifty