- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alleycat?...1961 Skylark Dynaflow...can't get past 50 mph!!

Alleycat?...1961 Skylark Dynaflow...can't get past 50 mph!!

I'm new to the Dynaflow and after searching through 14 pages of Dynaflow issues I've yet to figure out whats going on. I know it's a Dynaflow because it is on the bellhousing.
    The car will pull out fine in low or drive but it will then only continue to rev as I gain speed. If I lightly release the throttle it's like it's in nuetral. If I take my foot completely off the throttle it feels as if it changes into a higher gear. If I use very little throttle it will continue to move but it's not enough to gain speed. If I push the throttle harder to accelerate it will again rev very high. I can't get past 50 as it sounds as if the engine is about to pop!
    Is there an adjustment that can be made? Is the pump or turbine bad?
    I know I'm new to the board but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

BloodyKnuckles

Question Dynaflow Problems.

Have You checked or changed the fluid?

Dropped the pan?

Cleaned the Filter?

Consulted the manual?

Usually Dynaflow problems are when you start -up from a stop.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gallagher View Post
    Have You checked or changed the fluid?

Dropped the pan?

Cleaned the Filter?

Consulted the manual?

Usually Dynaflow problems are when you start -up from a stop.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Tom,
    I have checked the fluid and it's clean but red like dexron atf. Not sure if thats the right fluid or not.
    I have not dropped the pan or cleaned the filter. It has one bolt in the center of the pan that holds the entire pan in place. Is the filter a metal filter that I can flush out?
    I do not have a manual but I sure need to find one.

Thanks for the response, Tom. I appreciate it.

BloodyKnuckles

Well now... I'm somewhat of the notion that you may not have a "real" dynaflow. I've got a bunch of dynas in the shop, and not a one has a pan held on by a single center bolt. It's a big pan held on by a lot of permiter bolts. However, I pulled all my trans from behind nailheads. Skylarks had a nailhead looking engine, but not a nailhead. Buick was developing different trans for the skylarks and the future line up in general, so you may have a "dynaflow" but not really. The only way a dynaflow will act the way you describe is if it's running low on fluid, simple starvation. Which sounds as if thats whats happening, whatever trans you got. Get in there, check that filter or fluid pick-up or whatever! Somethings holding back the oil! alleycat

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Well now... I'm somewhat of the notion that you may not have a "real" dynaflow. I've got a bunch of dynas in the shop, and not a one has a pan held on by a single center bolt. It's a big pan held on by a lot of permiter bolts. However, I pulled all my trans from behind nailheads. Skylarks had a nailhead looking engine, but not a nailhead. Buick was developing different trans for the skylarks and the future line up in general, so you may have a "dynaflow" but not really. The only way a dynaflow will act the way you describe is if it's running low on fluid, simple starvation. Which sounds as if thats whats happening, whatever trans you got. Get in there, check that filter or fluid pick-up or whatever! Somethings holding back the oil! alleycat

Thank you for the response. I've read your posts and it seems that you know a thing or two about these trannys. It is a 215 mini nailhead. Maybe it's a late model Dynaflow towards the end of production. It does say it on the belhousing. I have checked the fluid level and it appears to be too much, could that be a problem? I will pull the pan and clean the filter if I can find it. It should be right there when I drop the pan, right?

Thanks again,

BloodyKnuckles

The '61 Skylark definately does NOT have a DynaFlow. If I remember correctly it was called a DualPath. It is a 2 speed trans. Sounds like it may be time for a rebuild. Check the filter 1st, but if it's that clogged to stop fluid flow it's time will be short lived anyway.

Tom T.

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    The '61 Skylark definately does NOT have a DynaFlow. If I remember correctly it was called a DualPath. It is a 2 speed trans. Sounds like it may be time for a rebuild. Check the filter 1st, but if it's that clogged to stop fluid flow it's time will be short lived anyway.

Tom T.
    Tom, the side of the tranny bellhousing says Dynaflow. The gear selector pattern is PNDLR.
    Where else can I check to verify what transmission this is? Why would it say Dynaflow?
    Thanks,

BloodyKnuckles
    Iron Lords c.c.

The "Bloody Garage"

>1931 Model A Coupe
    >1951 Plymouth Cambridge
    >1954 Desoto Powermaster
    >1961 Buick Skylark

This is starting to add up now. Dual-path, I'm thinking that GM put these in all their small cars, early on, since the big car trans just won't fit. I can't be absoultly sure, I'm currently in California for a while yet, and about 1300 miles from my library where I could come up with the answer, right now. In any case, it's not a dyna, even though is says so on the side, Buick's messin' with us here. Pull the pan, the filter and/or pick-up will be right there. Inspect the pan, if there is fine metel "dust" on the bottom, well, "Won't be long now!" I kinda think the main pump is loosing pressure, if the supply side is ok. Have fun! alleycat

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    This is starting to add up now. Dual-path, I'm thinking that GM put these in all their small cars, early on, since the big car trans just won't fit. I can't be absoultly sure, I'm currently in California for a while yet, and about 1300 miles from my library where I could come up with the answer, right now. In any case, it's not a dyna, even though is says so on the side, Buick's messin' with us here. Pull the pan, the filter and/or pick-up will be right there. Inspect the pan, if there is fine metel "dust" on the bottom, well, "Won't be long now!" I kinda think the main pump is loosing pressure, if the supply side is ok. Have fun! alleycat

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will verify the side of the tranny and the numbers and maybe we could come up with a diagnosis. There is what looks like a mechanical kickdown rod that comes from the trans and connects to the carb. It has a slip joint that I have adjusted out and it got better but not right. I then added an 1 1/4" of slip to the rod and it worked better but you still had to take your foot off the throttle for it to upshift. After a short drive is when it started to slip horribly. I returned it back to stock length and now I have no slip but it will not up shift so I still can't drive it past 40.

Thanks again,

BloodyKnuckles
    Iron Lords c.c.

The "Bloody Garage"

>1931 Model A Coupe
    >1951 Plymouth Cambridge
    >1954 Desoto Powermaster
    >1961 Buick Skylark

I'm about 100% sure you just found your problem. I had no idea that there was a adjustment point in there. I have a 56 pontiac, it has a hydramatic in it. On the linkage, coming down from the carb is a threaded adjuster. It is called the TV rod. It connects to a internal shuttle valve. If this baby is not adjusted JUST RIGHT!, the trans will be nuts! And it can drive a person crazy! I had to get a 56 manual to find out how to adjust it correctly. I don't think you can adjust around and happen to get it, but I now think that this is most likely your problem. It's one of those things that when it's right, it right!, and when it's not, well, it's not! alleycat